Cork City earn four point cushion with draw against Waterford

Danny Searle’s team were reduced to 10 men inside 10 minutes.

Cork City manager Colin Healy.
Cork City manager Colin Healy.
Image: Evan Logan/INPHO

Cork City 0

Waterford FC 0

Dylan O’Connell reports from Turner’s Cross

A STALEMATE BETWEEN Cork City and Waterford at Turner’s Cross on Monday night has moved the Rebel Army four points clear at the top of the First Division.

In a game which could have ignited a late season title charge in the Blues, Danny Searle’s
team were down to ten men inside ten minutes after Richard Taylor saw red.

This followed a scatty opening between the old Munster rivals, with the only shot of the first five minutes coming from Ruairi Keating’s boot. Even at that, it was a lame effort which was easily gathered by Paul Martin.

Waterford had a similar opening inside the City half and this came from an inch perfect
cross by Phoenix Patterson that was headed away by Kevin O’Connor.

Then, a tussle between Taylor and Cian Murphy ended with the Waterford defender
bringing down the Cork City forward. Referee Oliver Moran straight away produced a red
card and the home side were given a free kick right in front of the arc at the Shed End.
O’Connor took this and the full-back’s ball rounded the wall before bobbling wide.

Waterford retreated to protect their lines and this allowed City to dictate the flow of the
game. The Rebel used the possession well, with a chance from Cian Bargary getting blocked by Killian Cantwell and Keating was denied by a sprawling Martin.

A flicked on ball from Keating gave City their next opening inside the Waterford half, and
this was fired over by Murphy.

Waterford got their first shot on target in the 25th minute and this happened when Tunmise

Sobowale played Roland Idowu into space out wide. His effort was palmed out for a corner by David Harrington and the set piece was easily swatted away by the City defence.

Idowu got into another good position just after the break and this one was put out for a
corner. Patterson sent the ball to the near post and Wassim Aouachria headed this wide.

City’s best form of attack was to play direct and one long ball nearly led to a goal of the
season contender when Keating broke it down to Bargary. The winger cut inside and his
curling shot floated narrowly wide of the target.

The winger’s next involvement saw him drop the ball in for Keating, who flicked it back
across goal. Just before it went out of play, Aaron Bolger collected but he had no space.

The ball was ran out for a throw in to City and when it was put back in, Coffey ballooned it over the crossbar at the St Annes End.

What are they
really like?

Rare insights on sport's biggest names from the writers who know them best. Listen to Behind the Lines podcast.

Become a Member

City probed and probed the Waterford back-line while Colin Healy changed his forward line.

Dylan McGlade was brought on for Murphy, James Doona slotted in for Bargary, and Louis Britton went on for Coffey.

It was Britton that had a chance to win it for City but, against his former club, he put
Keating’s cross over the bar from just inside the area.

Cork City FC: David Harrington; Cian Coleman, Aaron Bolger, Ruairi Keating, Barry Coffey (Louis Britton 71), Cian Bargary (James Doona 66), Kevin O’Connor, Matt Healy, Darragh Crowley, Josh Honohan, Cian Murphy (Dylan McGlade 81).

Waterford FC: Paul Martin; Darragh Power, Richard Taylor, Niall O’Keeffe, Shane Griffin (Yassim En-Neyah 41), Wassim Aouachria, Junior Quitirna Armando (Dean Larkin 12), Tunmise Sobowale, Roland Idowu, Killian Cantwell, Phoenix Patterson.

Referee: Oliver Moran

About the author:

Dylan O'Connell

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel