This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 2 °C Sunday 24 March, 2019

Record makers! Corofin out on their own in Connacht after extra-time win over Castlebar

Goals from Colin Brady and Micheal Lundy were key today in Tuam.

Corofin (Galway) 2-13
Castlebar Mitchels (Mayo) 1-12

Declan Rooney reports from Tuam Stadium

A THIRD CONNACHT senior club title in the last five years has installed Corofin as the record winners of the competition after victory was secured thanks to a powerful extra-time from the Galway champions at Tuam Stadium today.

Ciaran McGrath and Micheal Lundy lift the trophy Corofin had four points to spare over Castlebar Mitchels. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

First-half goals from Colin Brady and Micheal Lundy helped Corofin into a five point advantage on two occasions in the second-half, but a late surge from Castlebar Mitchels – who kicked the last five points – sent the game to extra-time.

But points from Gary Sice, Jason Leonard and Ronan Steede settled Corofin, who ran out winners as darkness descended on Tuam Stadium.

It only took Castlebar three minutes to hit the game’s first goal when Cian Costello’s pass across goal was palmed into the net by Aidan Walsh.

Jason Leonard got Corofin off the mark from a free in the fifth minute, but they took the lead five minutes later when Colin Brady found the net from a tight angle.

Throughout the first half Mitchels had trouble shutting down a bright Corofin forward line, who played some intricate passing moves through the hand, while their angles of running seemed to confuse the Mayo champions time and again.

Bernard Power and Ronan Steede celebrate Bernard Power and Ronan Steede celebrate Corofin's victory. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Douglas kicked a fine score to level the game, while an exchange of frees for Gary Sice and David Stenson meant the scores were level 1-2 apiece after 16 minutes.

The loss of Kieran Fitzgerald after 20 minutes following a clash of heads was a blow to the Galway champions, and a second Stenson free was another setback eight minutes from the interval.

But from there to the break Corofin took control. Leonard kicked the levelling free and Brady landed a great score from play in the 25th minute, while Lundy’s goal five minutes from the turnaround put Corofin 2-4 to 1-3 in the ascendancy at half-time.

Micheal Lundy celebrates after he scored his sides second goal Micheal Lundy bagged Corofin's second goal. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Corofin did their hopes of victory no harm when Leonard landed his third free three minutes after the restart, but there was an immediate reply from Mitchels, as Eoghan O’Reilly drove forward and curled over a sweet point.

Kicking into a strengthening wind Corofin accumulated three quick wides, and after a Barry Moran mark, Stenson fed Douglas, and he scored a great point from a tight angle to put just a goal between the sides.

Neil Douglas dejected A dejected Neil Douglas after Castlebar's defeat. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Leonard and Martin Farragher were decisive though, and two points in a minute restored that five-point cushion, but Stenson and Douglas combined to kick the last five points of normal time to force extra-time.

Sice, Ronan Steede and Leonard kicked three quick points for Corofin to open out a three-point lead in extra-time, but after a foul on Sice sub Justin Burke saw his penalty easily saved, which would have ended Mitchels hopes.

A point from Douglas cut the led back to two points, but Sice and substitute Barry O’Donovan saw Corofin over the line.

Scorers for Corofin: Jason Leonard 0-5 (0-3f), Colin Brady 1-1, Michael Lundy 1-0, Gary Sice 0-3 (0-2f), Martin Farragher 0-2, Ronan Steede, Barry O’Donovan 0-1 each.

Scorers for Castlebar Mitchels: David Stenson 0-6 (0-4f), N Douglas 0-5 (0-2f), Aidan Walsh 1-0, Eoghan O’Reilly 0-1.


1. Bernard Power

6. Ciaran McGrath (captain)
3. Kieran Fitzgerald
2. Liam Silke

7. Dylan Wall
4. Conor Cunningham
5. Kieran Molloy

8. Michael Farragher
9. Ronan Steede

11. Michael Lundy
10. Gary Sice
12. Jason Leonard

15. Colin Brady
14. Martin Farragher
13. Ian Burke


17. Cathal Silke for Fitzgerald (blood) (21)
27. Daithi Burke for Brady (53)
19. Justin Burke for Martin Farragher (57)
22. Dylan McHugh for Molloy (57)
21. Barry O’Donovan for Lundy (60+2)
18. Ciaran Brady for Wall (60+3
20. Kevin Murphy for McGrath (60+5)
5. Kieran Molloy for Cunninghan (73)
14. Martin Farragher for J Burke (79)

Castlebar Mitchels

1. Rory Byrne (captain)

4. Donie Newcombe
3. Ger McDonagh
15. Ray O’Malley

2. Johnny Maughan
6. Eoghan O’Reilly
7. Paddy Durcan

8. Aidan Walsh
9. Barry Moran

12. Cian Costello
11. Danny Kirby
19. Shane Hopkins

13. David Stenson
14. Neil Douglas
10. James Durcan


5. Shane Irwin for Maughan (33)
17. Niall McCarney for Hopkins (48)
25. Mark Towey for Walsh (72)
21. Calum Kyne for Costello (74)
23. Matthew McCormack for McCarney (black card) (78)

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo).

The42 has just published its first book, Behind The Lines, a collection of some of the year’s best sports stories. Pick up your copy in Eason’s, or order it here today (€10):

St Loman’s progress to first Leinster senior final where boss Dempsey prepares to face former side

Kerry’s An Ghaeltacht back on All-Ireland hunt after 22-point Munster football final success

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Declan Rooney

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel