This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 12 °C Friday 22 February, 2019

Crumlin give Dundalk a scare but Lilywhites do enough to progress to the quarter-finals

Stephen Kenny’s side were forced to wait until stoppage time to put the game out of reach.

Image: Ciaran Culligan/INPHO

Crumlin United 1

Dundalk 3

DUNDALK PROGRESSED TO the quarter-finals of the FAI Cup with a comfortable 3–1 victory over Crumlin United at the Iveagh Grounds this afternoon

Despite taking the lead through David McMillan’s header, it took Dundalk until second-half stoppage time to put the tie to bed with a third goal

An even opening, where Crumlin came closest via Ger Rowe’s snapshot, preceded McMillan’s opening goal, with the striker rising unopposed to power Michael Duffy’s free-kick past Michael Quinn from four yards.

It took Crumlin only three minutes to find a leveller, however, as Jake Donnelly’s 20-yard free kick flew over the Dundalk wall and to the net with Gary Rogers rooted to the spot.

Crumlin players celebrate Jake Donnelly's goal Source: Ciaran Culligan; ©INPHO/Ciaran Culligan/INPHO

The Lilywhites dominated the first-half, but it took Seán Hoare’s 30-yard rocket to reinstall their interval cushion. At the end of an attack which looked likely to fizzle out, the centre-half waltzed into position before firing an unstoppable effort through Crumlin’s crowded defence.

Hoare came close to his second Dundalk goal after half time, heading a Duffy corner narrowly over, as the second period followed a similar pattern to the first.

Quinn was excellent between the Crumlin sticks and he produced a stunning penalty save to keep his side’s Cup hopes alive, diving low to his left in preventing McMillan from getting his second.

The tie was put to bed in injury time though when substitute Steven Kinsella drove home Duffy’s cross from the left flank.

Crumlin United: Michael Quinn; Alan Barrett, Noel Murray, Gary Murphy, Blair Hondangu (Daniel McGuinness 79); Craig Walsh, David Vickery, Gerard Rowe; Dean Hurley (Sam Simpson 60), Jake Donnelly, Conor Murphy

Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Seán Gannon, Seán Hoare, Niclas Vemmelund, Shane Grimes; Patrick McEleney (Carlton Ubaezuono 90), Chris Shields; Dylan Connolly (Steven Kinsella 72), Thomas Stewart (Conor Clifford 70), Michael Duffy; David McMillan

Referee: Paul Tuite (Dublin)

Subscribe to The42 podcasts here:

Galway into their first FAI Cup quarter-final in seven years after taking Pat’s at Inchicore

Cork City run riot and put a magnificent seven past Roddy Collins’ hapless Athlone Town

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Caoimhín Reilly

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel