Damien Duff among 3 sent off as late drama sees Dundalk beat Shels

The Lilywhites won it five minutes from time when John Martin, who had only just been summoned from the bench, scored a delightful header

Shelbourne manager Damien Duff after being sent off.
Shelbourne manager Damien Duff after being sent off.
Image: Ciaran Culligan/INPHO

Dundalk 2
Shelbourne 1

Niall Newberry reports from Oriel Park

THERE WAS LATE drama as Dundalk beat Shelbourne 2-1 in the SSE Airtricity League.

Daniel Kelly’s third goal in as many games at Oriel Park put Dundalk ahead on 64
minutes, only for Shane Farrell to level matters from the penalty spot on 81 minutes.

However, the Lilywhites won it five minutes from time when John Martin, who had only
just been summoned from the bench, scored a delightful header with his first touch.

In what was a rather dismal first half, it took 14 minutes for either side to create an
opening as Dundalk’s Steven Bradley curled a free-kick wide from the edge of the box.

The Scottish winger tried his luck again on 27 minutes, drilling wide on the half-volley.

It wasn’t until the 42nd minute that Shels threatened the Lilywhite rearguard, with Jack
Moylan finding himself through on goal after latching onto a Farrell flicked header, but
Darragh Leahy brilliantly raced across to block his attempt and keep the scores level.

Oriel Park sprang into life in first-half stoppage-time when Shane Griffin was given his
marching orders by referee Paul McLaughlin for a second yellow card after the Shels
defender had blatantly pulled the shirt of Bradley who was about to race into an attack.

After Shels manager, Damien Duff, was also sent off for his subsequent protestations,
Patrick Hoban fired the resulting free-kick just wide of Brendan Clarke’s near post.

Duff watched on from the stands in the second half, as Dundalk began to press, with
Hoban’s header at the back post from a Lewis Macari cross crashing off the woodwork.

The visiting side should have had a penalty on 52 minutes when Moylan was nudged
inside the area by Kelly, but referee McLaughlin waved away the strong Shels appeal.

Not long after an Aodh Dervin free stung the hands of Nathan Shepperd, Dundalk were
also reduced to 10 men when Bradley was given a straight red for kicking out at Farrell.

Oriel erupted on 64 minutes when from a Leahy pass-back, Paul Doyle sent a ball into
the path of Kelly and he side-footed home from close range to give Dundalk the lead.

Kelly went from hero to villain nine minutes from time when he was adjudged to have
fouled John Ross Wilson in the box before Farrell converted from 12 yards to make it 1-1.

What are they
really like?

Rare insights on sport's biggest names from the writers who know them best. Listen to Behind the Lines podcast.

Become a Member

However, Dundalk stole all three points in the 85th minute when Keith Ward floated a
wonderful delivery which was brilliantly headed home by Martin.

Dundalk: Nathan Shepperd; Lewis Macari (David McMillan 84), Mark Connolly, Andy
Boyle, Darragh Leahy; Greg Sloggett (Keith Ward 55), Paul Doyle (Sam Bone 74); Steven
Bradley, Joe Adams, Daniel Kelly; Patrick Hoban (John Martin 84).

Shelbourne: Brendan Clarke; John Ross Wilson, Aaron O’Driscoll, Luke Byrne, Shane
Griffin, Conor Kane (Sean Boyd 70); Aodh Dervin (Jordan McEneff 78), Mark Coyle,
Shane Farrell; Daniel Carr (Kameron Ledwidge HT), Jack Moylan.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin

Attendance: 2,427

About the author:

Niall Newberry

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel