This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 7 °C Sunday 23 February, 2020

'I was close' - Eoin Larkin considered calling it quits earlier this year

The Kilkenny forward endured a tough season with injuries.

Kilkenny forward Eoin Larkin.
Kilkenny forward Eoin Larkin.

A DIFFICULT YEAR for Eoin Larkin had a happy ending on Sunday when he helped Kilkenny to retain their All-Ireland senior hurling title at the expense of Galway.

The 1-22 to 1-18 victory at Croke Park gave Larkin his ninth All-Ireland medal, but the veteran forward has admitted that he was on the verge of quitting earlier in the year.

Larkin’s season began with surgery on a groin injury, followed by a bout of glandular fever. His subsequent absences from the panel left the 31-year-old disillusioned.

“I was close, to be honest. There’s no point in saying I wasn’t,” Larkin said, when asked if his injury troubles in 2015 left him considering his future as a Kilkenny hurler.

“I was after having a frustrating start to the year with injury, then glandular fever. But [winning the All-Ireland] makes it all worthwhile. That’s why I made the decision to stick around.”

Two weeks before the All-Ireland final, while Kilkenny were in Fota Island for a training weekend, injury struck again. This time it was a broken thumb. The culprit?

“Michael Fennelly. I was saying that if he was training all year he would have gotten rid of the ball; I wouldn’t have got near him to hook him,” Larkin joked. “I just went in to hook him, went in a bit far. I knew I was in trouble as soon as it happened.”

The injury led to a stressful build-up to the clash with Galway for Larkin. He spent nine days in a cast, which was only removed on the Tuesday before the game. Nevertheless, the James Stephens clubman played all 70 minutes and chipped in with 0-2.

Brian Cody celebrates with Eoin Larkin Eoin Larkin celebrates with Kilkenny manager Brian Cody after Sunday's defeat of Galway. Source: James Crombie/INPHO

“It was [stressful] and it could have affected me, but from the time I got the injury I wanted to try and focus and get fit and play in the All-Ireland final,” Larkin said.

“If I was going to let an injury come in the way of that I wouldn’t have been focused on the game and it wouldn’t have been fair on Brian [Cody] or the lads to do that. So I just had to put the injury to the back of my mind and try and train the way I could train — really focus on the game, and that is what I did.”

Larkin, who’s part of the Irish Defence Forces, departs for a peacekeeping mission to Syria next month and he won’t return until early April. What does that mean for his place on the Kilkenny panel in 2016?

He said: “I’m not making any decisions yet. I’ll just take the winter as it comes and have a chat with Brian before I go and probably during it.”

Jackie Tyrrell is uncertain about returning to challenge for a 10th All-Ireland medal in 2016

Cody: ‘The mix for club and county is wrong and club players are suffering’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Paul Dollery

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel