This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 9 °C Wednesday 24 April, 2019

GAA round-up: O'Halloran shines for Cork, Davy Fitz gets the Banner back to winning ways

The weather in Newbridge was a nuisance, but we still had a busy weekend of GAA action to keep us occupied.

Cork's Kevin Harrington and Conor O'Driscoll take to the field in Clonmel yesterday.
Cork's Kevin Harrington and Conor O'Driscoll take to the field in Clonmel yesterday.
Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

McGrath Cup Final

Tipperary 0-06 Cork 0-13 CORK CLAIMED THEIR sixth McGrath Cup with a relatively comfortable win over Tipperary in Clonmel, though the Rebels had goalkeeper Ken O’Halloran to thank for preserving their lead late on.

O’Halloran, who was deputising for regular keeper Alan Quirke, did his claims for a regular starting place no harm as he made three fine saves to deny Tipp in the closing stages.

Paul Kerrigan and Fintan Goold led the scoring for Cork with four and three points respectively, but speaking to RTÉ afterwards, Goold paid tribute to O’Halloran.

“With 10 or 15 minutes to go maybe we did get a bit slack and in fairness to Ken in goal, he made a couple of top saves. If a goal had gone in, who knows?”

O’Byrne Shield Final

Wexford 1-06 Laois 1-15 An early goal from Paul Cahillane set Laois on the road to a confidence-boosting win over Wexford in the O’Byrne Shield at Wexford Park.

Laois begin their return to the National Football League Division 1 against Mayo on Saturday evening, and they struck the front early when Cahillane scored after just three minutes.

Some slack defending allowed Paddy Byrne to cancel out the goal before half-time, but Justin McNulty’s men took a 1-09 to 1-03 lead into the break and closed out a comfortable win in the second half.

Waterford Crystal Cup

Clare 3-25 Waterford IT 0-05 Davy Fitzgerald celebrated his first victory as Clare hurling manager by predicting that his young squad will become “very competitive” within two or three years.

Fitzgerald watched from the sidelines as Clare hammered a understrength Waterford IT side at Sixemilebridge yesterday. The game was over as a contest before the break as first-half goals from Aaron Cunningham and Daire Keane gave the Banner men a 2-14 to 0-3 lead at the interval.

Next up for Clare are Limerick, who await in Sunday’s quarter-final.

Other results

O’Byrne Cup Final

  • Kildare P-P DCU (postponed due to waterlogged pitch)

Kehoe Cup quarter-finals

  • Kildare 1-16 GMIT 1-17 (AET)
  • Trinity 2-15 Down 0-14
  • Wicklow 2-09 St Pat’s 3-11
  • Meath 1-17 DCU 1-09

Walsh Cup quarter-finals

  • UCD 1-08 Galway 6-25
  • Laois 2-14 Dublin 1-14
  • Kilkenny 0-13 NUIG 0-12

Walsh Shield semi-finals

  • Carlow 0-15 DIT 1-15
  • Wexford 1-15 Offaly 2-18

Waterford Crystal Cup

  • Kerry 1-20 IT Tralee 1-15

Clarke fires his caddie six months after British Open win

Six Nations golden moments: Wales’ frantic comeback v Scotland, 2010

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Niall Kelly

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel