Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 9°C Monday 26 October 2020

Galway come out on the right side of a 6-goal cracker against Wexford

Vinny Faherty was on the double as Tommy Dunne’s side took all three points.

Connolly was on the scoresheet for Galway again (file photo).
Connolly was on the scoresheet for Galway again (file photo).
Image: James Crombie/INPHO

Galway United 4

Wexford Youths 2

GALWAY UNITED’S FIRST home game in seven weeks resulted in a massive boost for Tommy Dunne’s charges as they saw off Wexford Youths 4-2 in a cracking contest.

Galway’s last victory at Eamonn Deacy Park came against Finn Harps in early April and they have fallen off the pace in the SSE Airtricity League since then.

But goals from Gary Shanahan, Vinny Faherty and Ryan Connolly, along with a red card for Wexford’s Paul Murphy, had Galway on course for three points before Faherty scored the fourth in added time.

Shane Dunne scored the first-half goal for Wexford and substitute Andy Mulligan scored late on but they couldn’t find a way back.

Galway were 2-1 up at the break after they dominated possession in the first half, and bounced back after falling behind to an easy goal in the 21st minute.

Dunne scored into Conor Winn’s bottom right corner after the ball ricocheted around the Galway area following a Craig McCabe throw-in.

But two minutes later, Shanahan dragged Galway back level. Faherty delivered a wonderful pin-point cross with his right foot from the left and Shanahan’s delicate touch sent Graham Doyle the wrong way.

Galway increased the pressure again and it told when Faherty found the net. Melody crossed and Faherty bravely headed home to give United a 2-1 half-time lead.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Connolly scored a brilliant goal in the 60th minute and hopes of a Wexford comeback were dented when Paul Murphy was sent off with 17 minutes to play.

And although Andy Mulligan did pull one back for Wexford, Faherty sealed the win late on.

Galway United: Conor Winn; Colm Horgan, Armin Aganovic, Stephen Folan, Stephen Walsh; Gary Shanahan, Paul Sinnott, Ryan Connolly (Jose Garcia ’91), Kevin Devaney; Conor Melody, Vinny Faherty (Padraic Cunningham ’93).

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle; Aidan Friel (Aidan Keenan ’63), Craig McCabe, Stephen Last, Lee Grace, Danny Ledwith; Chris Kenny (Shane Dempsey ’74); John Bonner (Andy Mulligan ’82), Shane Dunne; Paul Murphy, Danny Furlong.

Referee: David McKeon (Dublin).

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

About the author:

Daragh Small

Read next: