Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 5°C Saturday 27 February 2021

All-Ireland-winning hurlers show support for Galway but threat of the drop still remains after draw

St. Pat’s had Billy Dennehy score shortly before the interval to cancel out Eoin McCormack’s earlier strike.

Galway boss Shane Keegan (file pic).
Galway boss Shane Keegan (file pic).
Image: Bryan Keane/INPHO

Galway United 1

St. Patrick’s Athletic 1

Daragh Small reports from Eamonn Deacy Park

WITH SOME OF Galway’s All-Ireland winning hurling panel in attendance, Galway United missed out on the chance to boost their SSE Airtricity League Premier Division survival hopes against St Patrick’s Athletic.

Galway dominated for much of the first-half but it was 1-1 at the break after Billy Dennehy scored a late equaliser moments before the interval, to cancel out Eoin McCormack’s earlier strike in front of 2,164 at Eamonn Deacy Park.

St Pat’s could have gone ahead inside the first minute but Dennehy could not get on the end of Conan Byrne’s early delivery.

The visitors’ goalkeeper, Lukasz Skowron, was in outstanding form and he kept Ronan Murray out in the 13th minute before Stephen Folan and Niall Maher both missed chances from inside the St Pat’s penalty area.

Marc Ludden had another great chance moments later but that was saved Skowron too and Galway continued to mount the pressure looking for a crucial lead goal.

Murray side-footed wide with one of the best chances of the half after another inch-perfect delivery from Ludden and then Galway finally went in front.

Murray spotted the gap in the St Pat’s defence and he put McCormack through one-on-one with Skowron, and the Ballinasloe native kept his cool and finished to the net.

Galway had to hold out until half-time but there was a lapse in concentration just before the break and Dennehy volleyed Byrne’s delivery to the net.

Billy Dennehy Source: Ryan Byrne; ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne/INPHO

It was 1-1 at the interval and St Pat’s had all of the possession after the break, with Graham Kelly’s shot in the 67th minute, their best chance to score.

But Winn kept his goal intact and Galway gradually gained the ascendency once again.

However they were nearly caught with just six minutes remaining when Kurtis Byrne won possession after a mistake from Folan, he found Dennehy, but the former Cork City player shot wide.

Galway United: Conor Winn; Niall Maher, Stephen Folan, Colm Horgan; Kevin Devaney, David Cawley, Rory Hale, Marc Ludden; Gavan Holohan (Conor Melody 76), Ronan Murray; Eoin McCormack (Padraic Cunningham 86).

St Patrick’s Athletic: Lukasz Skowron; Graham Kelly, Jordi Balk, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham; Owen Garvan, Paul O’Conor (Michael Barker 55), Killian Brennan; Conan Byrne (Ian Turner 86), Billy Dennehy, Christy Fagan (Kurtis Byrne 59).

Referee: Robert Rogers (Dublin).
Subscribe to The42 podcasts here:

‘This is a fantastic step forward for women’s football in Ireland’ – FAI handed €200k grant

Know Your Sport? Take our weekly quiz

About the author:

Daragh Small

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel