Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 10°C Friday 14 May 2021

Davy Fitz's Wexford leave it late but do enough to grab massive result in Galway

Two Conor McDonald frees in stoppage time were the difference.

Galway's Aidan Harte tracking Jack O'Connor.
Galway's Aidan Harte tracking Jack O'Connor.
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Wexford 1-21

Galway 3-13

By John Fallon at Pearse Stadium

DAVY FITZGERALD’S WEXFORD renaissance is now in full throttle after they came back from the dead to oust Galway in their own backyard in a thriller.

Joe Canning was sprung by Galway for his first action since he suffered a hamstring injury in the All-Ireland semi-final loss to Tipperary and when he blasted home a penalty within a minute of coming on to put the Tribesmen six points in front, it seemed there could be only one outcome.

But Galway died after that, managing just one point in the closing 16 minutes with the wind as Wexford finished strongly, much to the delight of their sizeable travelling following in the crowd of 7,006.

Galway made a superb start with points from Conor Cooney and Conor Whelan but Wexford hit back and landed three in a row from Barry Carton, Matthew O’Hanlon and Lee Chin to lead by 0-3 to 0-2 after nine minutes on a foggy afternoon in Salthill.

The exchanges were feisty at stages, hardly surprising given there was so much at stake, and referee Cathal McAllister was kept busy.

Jason Flynn tied the match before Conor McDonald and David Redmond made it 0-5 to 0-3 for a Wexford side who had the diagonal wind behind them.

But then Galway took over with Joseph Cooney forcing home a goal after a delivery by Conor Cooney after 16 minutes.

Conor Cooney was also the provider in setting Johnny Coen up for Galway’s second goal five minutes from the break to lead by 2-7 to 0-6.

Wexford finished the half strongly with Diarmuid O’Keeffe becoming the third member of their half-back to score, while all six forwards found the range when Aidan Nolan hit the target as Davy Fitzgerald’s men finished the half with five unanswered points to leave it 2-7 to 0-11 at the interval.

There was a goal between them when Galway sprung Canning and he was on just a minute when he blasted a penalty to the roof after Flynn was fouled to make it 3-12 to 0-15 after 54 minutes.

Aidan Harte and Geroid McInerney with Lee Chin Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

But Wexford hit back and after McDonald pointed another free, goalkeeper Mark Fanning went forward to drill a penalty low to the net after Chin was fouled.

That left it 3-12 to 1-16 with 13 minutes left as the intensity rose for the crowd of 7,006.
Galway goalkeeper Colm Callanan landed a free from 100 metres but Podge Doran hit back for Wexford to leave just two between them with seven minutes left.

Wexford slipped up a gear after that with two points from McDonald drawing them level in a hectic finish and it was McDonald who sealed the win with two frees in stoppage time to now leave them red-hot favourites for promotion in Fitzgerald’s first campaign in charge.

Scorers for Wexford: C McDonald 0-7 (0-5f), M Fanning 1-0 (1-0 pen), L Chin 0-3 (0-2f), P Morris 0-3, A Nolan 0-2, S Donohoe 0-1, D Redmond 0-1, M O’Hanlon 0-1, B Carton 0-1, D O’Keefe 0-1, P Doran 0-1.

Scorers for Galway: J Flynn 0-5 (0-2f, 0-1 ’65), J Cooney 1-1, J Canning 1-0 (1-0 pen), J Coen 1-0, C Cooney 0-3, C Callanan 0-1 (0-1f), B Molloy 0-1, David Burke 0-1, C Whelan 0-1


1. Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown)

2. Eoin Moore (Oulart-The Ballagh)
3. Liam Ryan (Rapparees)
4. James Breen (Adamstown)

5. Simon Donohoe (Shelaliers)
6. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James’)
7. Diarmuid O’Keefe (St Anne’s)

8. Shaun Murphy (Oulart-The Ballagh)
12. Barry Carton (Cloughbawn)

10. Aidan Nolan (Half Way House Bunclody)
11. David Redmond (Oulart-The Ballagh)
14. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)

15. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidan’s)
9. Jack O’Connor (St Martin’s)
13. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna)


23. Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn) for O’Connor (42)
24. Podge Doran (Oylegate-Glenbrien) for Redmond (51)
22. Aaron Maddock (St Martin’s) for Carton (55)
18. Richie Kehoe (Faythe Harriers) for Moore (59)
21. David Dunne (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy) for Nolan (62)


1. Colm Callanan (Kinvara)

3. John Hanbury (Rahoon-Newcastle)
7. Aidan Harte (Gort)
4. David Burke (Turloughmore)

5. Gearoid McInerney (Oranmore-Maree)
6. Adrian Tuohy (Beagh)
2. Matt Donoghue (Moycullen)

8. Johnny Coen (Loughrea)
9. David Burke (St Thomas’)

13. Conor Whelan (Kinvara)
10. Davy Glennon (Mullagh)
14. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins)

15. Conor Cooney (St Thomas’)
11. Joseph Cooney (Sarsfields)
24. Brian Molloy (Kilnadeema-Leitrim)


19. Joe Canning (Portumna) for Molloy (51)
18. Ronan Burke (Turloughmore) for McInerney (55)
26. Niall Burke (Oranmore-Maree) for Glennon (71).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork).

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Watch live: Four teams battle for Croke Park glory in the All-Ireland club football finals

The late, late try that sent Munster back to the top of the Pro12 table

About the author:

John Fallon

Read next: