BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 9°C Sunday 9 May 2021
Advertisement

Terry accepts FA ban for Ferdinand racial abuse

Chelsea captain John Terry will serve a four-match ban, starting with Saturday’s London derby against Tottenham Hotspur.

Anton Ferdinand, left, and John Terry.
Anton Ferdinand, left, and John Terry.
Image: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire/Press Association Images

JOHN TERRY WILL serve a four-match ban for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand after he confirmed today that he will not appeal the Football Association’s punishment.

The Chelsea captain was found guilty of using “abusive and/or insulting words” towards Ferdinand following a four-day hearing by an independent regulatory commission last month and hit with the ban and a fine of £220,000, pending appeal.

Terry’s 14-day window to appeal the decision expires today and although he said he is “disappointed” with the FA judgement, the 31-year-old will not take the matter further.

“My response was below the level expected by Chelsea Football Club, and by me, and it will not happen again,” Terry said in a statement issued through his management company.

Terry has always denied using racial terms towards QPR’s Ferdinand during a Premier League game in October 2011. He was cleared of having committed a “racially aggravated offence” by the Westminster Magistrates Court in July.

Terry’s ban begins this Saturday with Chelsea’s trip to London rivals Tottenham and will also rule him out of two clashes in the space of four days with Ferdinand’s brother Rio, as Chelsea host Manchester United in both the Premier League and the Capital One Cup at the end of October.

The final game of his suspension will be away to Swansea on 3 November, leaving Terry in line to make a return against Liverpool eight days later.

Terry’s statement read: “After careful consideration, I have decided not to appeal against the FA judgment.

“I want to take this opportunity to apologise to everyone for the language I used in the game against Queens Park Rangers last October.

“Although I’m disappointed with the FA judgment, I accept that the language I used, regardless of the context, is not acceptable on the football field or indeed in any walk of life.

“As I stated in the criminal case, with the benefit of hindsight my language was clearly not an appropriate reaction to the situation for someone in my position.

“My response was below the level expected by Chelsea Football Club, and by me, and it will not happen again.

“Looking forward, I will continue to do my part in assisting the club to remove all types of discriminatory behaviour from football.

“I am extremely grateful for the consistent support of Chelsea FC, the fans and my family.”

Eamon Dunphy: Irish football bosses made a mistake on Trap decision

VIDEO: Neymar overcomes jetlag fears to score yet another golazo

About the author:

Niall Kelly

Read next:

COMMENTS