Eoin Brennan reports from Sixmilebridge
A STRONG FINISH ensured that Limerick bounced back fully from Sunday’s humiliating reverse to Cork to snatch the latest derby spoils against Clare, in front of a healthy attendance of 1,719 in O’Garney Park Sixmilebridge tonight in the Co-Op Superstores Munster Hurling League.
Having trailed for the majority, the visitors hit the front in dramatic style in the 63rd minute when Richie McCarthy’s long delivery over the top of Clare’s last line was finished to the net by Barry Nash to take a minimum lead.
And with the bit between their teeth, Limerick would outscore the home side by 0-3 to 0-2 for the remainder to see out their second win in three games.
Up to that point, it was an experimental Clare who did the pace-setting, thanks in the first half to John Conlon in particular who fired four points to put his wind-assisted side 0-9 to 0-4 in front by the 20th minute.
However, with Diarmaid Byrnes in accurate form from long range, Limerick would inch back into the contest, with a Graeme Mulcahy goal after a defensive error actually levelling up the tie by the 34th minute.
A David Reidy free did edge Clare 0-12 to 1-08 in front by the midway point and while Cian Lynch gained parity for a second time in the 44th minute, the hosts thanks to three Reidy frees would re-establish a three point cushion entering the final quarter.
After successive goal efforts from Conlon and the lively Aaron Cunningham were repelled by Nickie Quaid, a relieved Limerick would receive the perfect boost when Nash was on hand to put them in front at 2-12 to 0-17 with just seven minutes remaining.
Cunningham would level once more but three-in-a-row from Paul Browne, Lynch and Byrnes would cement a much needed boost for John Kiely’s side.
Scorers for Limerick: Diarmaid Byrnes 0-5 (0-3f); Sean Tobin 0-3 (0-3f); Graeme Mulcahy, Barry Nash 1-0 each; John Fitzgibbon, Cian Lynch 0-2 each; Gearoid Hegarty, Tom Morrissey, Paul Browne 0-1 each
Scorers for Clare: David Reidy 0-5 (0-3f); John Conlon 0-4; Aaron Cunningham 0-3; Shane Golden 0-2; David Fitzgerald, Cathal O’Connell, Jason McCarthy, Cathal Malone, Ben O’Gorman 0-1 each
1. Nickie Quaid (Effin)
4. Mike Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
2. Stephen Cahill (Tournafulla)
5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
6. Declan Hannon (Adare)
7. Gavin O’Mahony (Kilmallock)
8. John Fitzgibbon (Adare)
9. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
12. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
11. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
10. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s)
13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
14. Barry Nash (Liberties)
15. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)
24. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry) for Hegarty (30, inj)
22. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh) for Tobin (50)
25. Tom Morrissey (Ahane) for La Touche Cosgrave (50)
21. Paul Browne (Bruff) for Ryan (52)
17. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher) for Fitzgibbon (63, inj)
1. Donal Tuohy (Crusheen)
2. Shane McNamara (Clooney-Quin)
3. Cian Dillon (Crusheen – captain)
4. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
5. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)
6. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
7. Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge)
8. David Reidy (Éire Óg Inis)
9. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
10. John Conlon (Clonlara)
11. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)
12. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)
13. Cathal O’Connell (Clonlara)
14. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)
15. Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones)
21. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona) for Shanagher (HT)
19. Ben O’Gorman (Wolfe Tones) for Fitzgerald (61)
24. Kevin Hehir (Inagh-Kilnamona) for Reidy (67)
20. Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle) for P. Duggan (69)
Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork)
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!