LOI wrap: Pat's and Drogheda pick up wins, Rovers held by Shels

Meanwhile, UCD secured a vital win in their bid to avoid relegation.

St. Pats' Chris Forrester celebrates scoring the third goal of the game.
St. Pats' Chris Forrester celebrates scoring the third goal of the game.

ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC secured a hard-earned 3-2 win against Bohemians at Dalymount Park this evening.

Evan McMillan had put the home side in front on 25 minutes, before James Chambers hit back for Pat’s.

The visitors then took the lead just after half-time courtesy of a Chris Forrester effort, before Kevin Feely levelled the match once again.

But with 20 minutes remaining, Sean O’Connor scored the decisive third goal, ultimately ensuring that the visitors hold onto third spot in the Airtricity League for now.

Pats’ rivals at the top, Drogheda, earned another vital win, beating Bray 3-1 at the Carlisle Grounds.

Eric Foley initially gave them the lead, before Dean Marshall looked to have salvaged a point for the hosts, with 20 minutes remaining.

However, a Declan O’Brien goal, followed by a Jason Marks strike, ensured they ended the night six points behind league leaders Sligo.

Elsewhere, UCD gained an important 2-1 win against Dundalk at Oriel Park, consequently enhancing their chances of avoiding relegation this year.

David McMillan handed the Students the early advantage,  before Marc Griffin equalised just before the hour mark.

However, a McMillan penalty with just under ten minutes remaining proved enough for the visitors, thus earning them three points that could be crucial come the end of the season.

Meanwhile, in a closely fought encounter at the Brandywell, Derry City overcame Cork City 1-0.

What are they
really like?

Rare insights on sport's biggest names from the writers who know them best. Listen to Behind the Lines podcast.

Become a Member

Garry Buckley got the all-important goal on 68 minutes, thereby consolidating the visitors’ hold on fifth place in the Airtricity League.

And in tonight’s late kick-off, Shamrock Rovers had to be content with a 2-2 draw against Shelbourne at Tallaght Stadium.

Ciaran Kilduff gave Rovers a 1-0 lead after 27 minutes, before Paddy Kavanagh and Philip Gorman scored a goal apiece to put the visitors in the driving seat.

However, with eight minutes remaining, a Ronan Finn goal gave his side a share of the spoils.

Read: ‘Delighted as a fan we got the win. Personal level #fuming’ – McClean>

Read: Here’s how Twitter reacted to Ireland v Kazakhstan>

About the author:

Paul Fennessy

Read next: