This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Saturday 19 October, 2019
Advertisement

Honey Badger Nick Cummins is moving to play in Japan, will miss the Rugby World Cup

Cummins cites family health issues as the reason behind his move to the West Red Sparks.

Cummins, 26, has played 15 Tests for the Wallabies.
Cummins, 26, has played 15 Tests for the Wallabies.
Image: Tertius Pickard

AUSTRALIA WINGER NICK Cummins has been released from his contract to sign with Japan’s West Red Sparks for next season, making him ineligible for the 2015 World Cup.

Cummins — known to fans as the “Honey Badger” — is among several Wallabies, including forwards Ben Mowen and Kane Douglas, who have opted to go overseas before the World Cup in England.

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie has already made clear he will only select home-based players for the tournament.

The Australian Rugby Union said Cummins had been granted an early release from his national contract to play for the Fukuoka-based club in a decision based on “unique family circumstances”.

“We have been working with Nick and his management team to explore ways to retain him within Australian rugby since we were notified of his circumstances,” ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said in a statement.

“Due to his unique and extreme personal circumstances, we have reluctantly made a decision to grant Nick an early release from his current contract based on compassionate grounds.”

Cummins said in a statement that family health issues were at the heart of the matter.

“My family is currently enduring some extremely difficult times in terms of their health and wellbeing,” Cummins said.

“My time in Japan will hopefully provide me with the opportunity to give back to and provide some certainty for my family.

Nick Cummins statement Source: Nick Cummins

“It was a difficult decision to make in the context of a Rugby World Cup next year, but the health and wellbeing of my family is paramount.

“I now must put my own interests in the World Cup aside.”

McKenzie said the crowd-pleasing Cummins would be missed by the Wallabies.

“It is very disappointing to lose a player of Nick’s calibre but after discussing the issues at hand, we appreciate that this is a decision based on what is best for him and his family at this time,” McKenzie said.

Rugby WA chief Mark Sinderberry said he hoped the conditions of Cummins’ release would allow him to play again with the Western Force in next year’s Super Rugby.

Cummins, 26, has played 15 Tests for the Wallabies since making his debut against Argentina in Rosario in 2012 and has been a mainstay of the Western Force backline since 2008.

He started in all three games of the Wallabies’ clean sweep of France last month.

- © AFP, 2014

‘World’s fastest rugby player’ Isles leaves union to focus on Olympic 7s

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (12)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel