Dublin: 10°C Thursday 21 October 2021
Advertisement

UFC lightweight champion warns Conor McGregor not to join his division

The 155lbs division will be “tough for him”, says Rafael dos Anjos.

UFC lightweight world champion Rafael dos Anjos.
UFC lightweight world champion Rafael dos Anjos.

JOSE ALDO ISN’T the only Brazilian UFC champion who’s been in Conor McGregor’s verbal firing line over the past few days.

As the Dubliner prepares to face Aldo for the UFC featherweight title in July, he was quizzed last week about the possibility of moving up a weight-class to challenge for lightweight honours further down the line.

The 155lbs belt is currently in the possession of 30-year-old Rio de Janeiro native Rafael dos Anjos, who dethroned Anthony Pettis in a major upset earlier this month at UFC 185.

“We will take Aldo and we will take dos Anjos, without a problem,” McGregor told reporters. “The featherweights must beg now. They must beg for pardon, beg for forgiveness. If that’s the case, if they apologize and beg, I’ll leave the division.

“I won’t terrorize them anymore. They can have their division back. They can go back to being on the prelims and I’ll go to the lightweight division.”

While speaking to the media in Brazil, dos Anjos was asked about potentially squaring off against McGregor in the future.

He said: “He has a big opponent in front of him with Aldo. Tell him to stay at featherweight because here (lightweight) is going to be tough for him.”

H/T: MMAFighting.com

Her upcoming UFC bout was cancelled but Aisling Daly will still be fighting next month

Ronda Rousey teamed up with The Rock at Wrestlemania last night

About the author:

Paul Dollery

Read next:

COMMENTS