Jonathan Edwards holds the torch. Yui Mok/LOCOG/Press Association Images
London 2012

Relight my fire: Olympic torch goes out on Day 3 of relay

Don’t worry, they’ve got measures in place to deal with this sort of thing.

THE OLYMPIC TORCH was briefly snuffed out Monday during the relay leading up to the London 2012 Games.

The torch was attached to the side of Para-badminton player David Follett’s wheelchair in the western England town of Great Torrington when the flame went out. London Olympic organizers blamed the incident on a malfunctioning burner.

Such occurrences are fairly common and organizers keep a “mother flame” in a protective lantern just in case.

Follett, who uses a wheelchair after being injured in a car accident at 19, was given a replacement torch and the relay continued. It is traveling on a 70-day, 8,000-mile (12,875-kilometer) trip around the U.K., with a stopover in Ireland.

Some of the torchbearers who have participated so far have put their torches up for sale on eBay. One torch is reported to have been sold for more than 150,000 pounds ($240,000).

Others are listed for less. Some of the sellers said on eBay they will donate the proceeds to charity.

Olympic heartbreak as McCambridge misses out on marathon place

2011 dominance a sweet memory for Djokovic as Rafa reigns in Rome

Associated Foreign Press