This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 9 °C Saturday 15 December, 2018
Advertisement

Rob Horne signs new Australia contract to end Munster interest

The 25-year-old wing/centre has agreed to a two-year extension of his ARU deal.

Horne has won 25 caps for Australia in the centre and on the wing.
Horne has won 25 caps for Australia in the centre and on the wing.
Image: Inpho/Billy Stickland

AUSTRALIA INTERNATIONAL ROB Horne has signed a new two-year contract with the ARU to end speculation that he would join Munster after this year’s World Cup.

The Waratahs wing, who also has experience as an outside centre at international level, will remain in his native land until the end of 2017, with highly-rated back row Sean McMahon also having signed a two-year ARU contract extension.

Horne was linked with a move to Anthony Foley’s Munster for next season, but The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the 25-year-old turned down the province’s offer of a two-year deal worth up to $800,000 [€552,000] to re-sign in Australia.

Horne helped Michael Cheika’s Waratahs to the Super Rugby title last year, while also bringing his collection of Wallabies caps up to 25.

Cheika welcomed the confirmation of Horne’s new deal, underlining the wing/centre’s importance:

Rob’s been an invaluable asset to the Waratahs over the last two years since I’ve had the pleasure of coaching him,” said Cheika.

“The next two years of his career here will see him become a real leader within our squad.  We are really pleased that he will continue playing his rugby in the sky blue jersey.”

Munster head coach Foley recently insisted his province have been speaking to top-class foreign players about moves to Ireland for next season, stating that “we’re looking to add quality.”

Anthony Foley Foley says Munster are looking to add quality players. Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO

“We’re entitled within the rules of the IRFU to five foreign signings, so we have that at the moment,” Foley told The42. “Obviously, you go out there and look, see what’s around. You don’t buy for the sake of buying. It’s about what will make our squad better.

“When we find that person, we’ll hopefully do our best to sign him and see if we can beat off other teams. We are looking, we are in the market and we are looking to improve our squad. We’re in there and competing with the best of them.”

Originally published at 11.27

Munster’s Dave Foley ruled out of Six Nations after wrist surgery

Schmidt errs towards caution with Sexton after concussion issues

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Murray Kinsella

Read next:

COMMENTS (25)