This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 10 °C Sunday 17 February, 2019

'It's day by day, hour by hour' - Former Armagh star's father delivers hospital update

2002 All-Ireland winner Ronan Clarke remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

Ronan Clarke remains in a serious but stable condition.
Ronan Clarke remains in a serious but stable condition.
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

FORMER ARMAGH STAR Ronan Clarke’s father, Adrian, has delivered an update on his son’s progress in hospital.

Ronan Clarke has been in hospital since colliding with a goalpost in a club match on Saturday.

Clarke, a 2002 All-Ireland senior medallist with Armagh, suffered a serious head injury while playing for his club Pearse Og against Maghery.

“We are quite happy to date with his progress, and as far as we can ascertain at the present time, he is making gradual progress,” Adrian Clarke told the Belfast Telegraph newspaper. 

“With this situation, it is going to take time, but the signs are good at the present time.

“We are happy in that respect.

“If you were to put a time-frame on it, we just don’t know. It’s day by day, hour by hour.”

Ronan Clarke was taken to the intensive care unit at Craigavon Area Hospital.

He was placed in an induced coma and remains in a serious but stable condition.

“The ball was coming into the square and he was watching the ball,” his father added.

“He was looking for the ball and went into the post.

“When I was bringing him to hospital, he was lapsing in and out of consciousness. I was talking to him to keep him awake.

“When we got to the hospital, they took over completely and carried out their task professionally, did what they had to do and, thankfully, it has proven the correct course of action, no doubt about it.”

Ronan Clarke 22/9/2002 DIGITAL Ronan Clarke celebrates All-Ireland glory in 2002. Source: INPHO

Mr. Clarke revealed that Ronan wanted to play on after the incident.

“He had no intention of leaving the field,” he said.

“There was only about five minutes left in the game, but he wanted to continue and he said he was all right.

“Even afterwards, in the course of conversation with the paramedics after the game, he said he was all right.”

This Mayo forward has been ruled out of his county’s quest for All-Ireland football glory

‘It was a bad ending for us, collectively I would have been disappointed’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Read next: