This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Monday 22 April, 2019
Advertisement

'There was absolutely no bust-up' - Lambert speaks out about Keane departure

The Aston Villa boss says he would like to put the issue to bed.

Lambert and Keane have parted ways.
Lambert and Keane have parted ways.
Image: AP/Press Association Images

First published 11.43am

ASTON VILLA MANAGER Paul Lambert insists that Roy Keane’s departure was not the result of a dressing room bust-up.

Keane left the Premier League club last week in order to concentrate on his duties as Ireland assistant but reports in the media on Monday suggested that his sudden exit was down to a falling out.

However, Lambert spoke out after last night’s 1-0 win over Crystal Palace and says he would like to put the story to bed.

“If anyone wants to know about Roy, I’ll put it on your plate so you know: there’s absolutely no problem whatsoever,” Lambert said.

“He’s got a lot of commitments with Ireland, he’s never had a break from going away with Ireland, and never had a break from Aston Villa. So I totally respect his decision.

Contrary to reports, there was absolutely nothing, absolutely no bust-up, no arguing, nothing like that. I thank him for his time coming to work for me.

“I spoke to him before the Burnley game, after the Burnley game, and we still have the same relationship. So I just want to put that to bed, alright?”

Roy ready to end bitter feud – ‘If Ferguson apologises, I would be happy to move on’

Martinez defiant that James McCarthy will remain at Everton despite widespread interest

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Ben Blake

Read next:

COMMENTS (20)