INPHO/James Crombie Sarsfields triumphed in the Cork senior hurling championship tonight. (File Photo)
# Round-Up
Cork senior hurling wins for Sarsfields, Bishopstown and Ballymartle
It was back to the club game today for some members of Cork’s All-Ireland hurling final side.

Sarsfields 2-14
UCC 0-9

SARSFIELDS MADE NO mistake at the second attempt in disposing of the challenge of UCC in tonight’s Cork senior hurling 4th round replay at Páirc Uí Rinn.

The reigning champions, who have won three of the last five titles, were always in control and lead by 1-8 to 0-5 at the interval.

They extended that lead to be ahead by 2-10 to 0-7, just eight minutes into the second-half. Tadhg Óg Murphy and Eoin O’Sullivan grabbed the goals for the Riverstown-based club.

They ran out victors by 11 points at the finish but their victory was clouded by the sending-off of Cork senior defender Conor O’Sullivan in the closing stages.

UCC were forced to start the game without Cork attacker Seamus Harnedy, who notched a hat-trick of goals when these teams met in the drawn game, after he was injured in a game with his club St Ita’s on Friday night.

William Egan did line out for UCC but Sarsfields were the dominant force and advance to a quarter-final meeting with Killeagh next Saturday.


Patrick Cronin was on the mark for Bishopstown today.
Pic: INPHO/James Crombie

Bishopstown 3-17
Carrigtwohill 4-12

LAST YEAR’S BEATEN finalists Bishopstown needed extra-time before getting the better of Carrigtwohill in a dramatic fourth round clash this afternoon in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

In an eight-goal thriller, it was a penalty despatched to the net in the second-half of extra-time by Cork captain Patrick Cronin for Bishopstown that proved to be the critical score.

Bishopstown had controlled the game in normal time with a goal from Brian Murray helping them lead by 1-12 to 0-8 with six minutes left.

But 2011 champions Carrigtwohill drew level in stunning style in the last six minutes when goalkeeper Tomas Hogan came up field to fire a 20-yard free to the net, strike a penalty to the net and drive a 65′ over the bar.

There was more drama in extra-time when Shane Fives and Jason Barrett were amongst the goalscorers for Carrigtwohill but Bishopstown and Cronin drove on for victory to set up a quarter-final meeting with Midleton next Saturday.


Darren McCarthy was on the mark for Ballymartle today
Pic: INPHO/Cathal Noonan

Ballymartle 5-17
Douglas 4-18

Extra-time was also required to settle the issue in today’s first game at Páirc Uí Chaoimh with Ballymartle eventually winning out in a cracking quarter-final tie that produced nine goals.

Douglas had started brightly but a goal from a penalty by Cork substitute goalkeeper Darren McCarthy and another by Killian McCarthy left Ballymartle ahead by 2-7 to 0-5 after 25 minutes.

Douglas hit back to be only three points behind at the interval, 2-7 to 1-7, with Alan Cadogan finding the net for them.

Ballymartle’s supremacy was restored through a third goal in the second-half from Jamie Dwyer to help them go ahead by 3-11 to 1-10.

But Douglas kept battling and in a sensational finale, Odhran Mulrooney’s last-gasp goal sent the game to extra-time as the teams finished level at 4-12 to 3-15.

The scores kept flowing in extra-time with Keith Fitzpatrick finding the net for Ballymartle and Cork senior Stephen Moylan managing to do likewise for Douglas.

Yet Ballymartle ultimately prevailed to advance to the semi-final stage for the second successive year.

Eire Og Nenagh qualify for Tipperary senior hurling final

Na Piarsaigh are crowned Limerick senior hurling champions