This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 15 °C Thursday 27 June, 2019
Advertisement

'We're very well resourced': Sean Cavanagh moves to end Tyrone's expenses row

“Yes, there were some issues of a minor nature but these matters are being addressed.”

Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

TYRONE CAPTAIN SEAN Cavanagh has issued a statement clarifying the recent expenditure dispute surrounding the county’s football squad.

In the statement, which was circulated by the Tyrone PRO, Cavanagh said that Mickey Harte’s squad are “very well resourced” and described the issue as a “minor” one which is being addressed.

Cavanagh himself sparked the conversation, when he admitted he was “slightly jealous” of the expenses other teams were racking up earlier this month.

Then an unnamed player sent a letter into Newstalk last week which was highly critical of the county board and their apparent cost-cutting measures.

“It’s becoming impossible to prepare ourselves to win an All-Ireland in a climate of cut, cut, cut.

“When we look at the money spent on the preparation of the county teams we are nowhere near the top spenders,” the anonymous letter read, with the subject heading “Disgusted Tyrone Senior Footballer.”

It also accused Tyrone chairwoman Roisin Jordan of requesting £15 (€17.50) from each squad member to go towards sports equipment.

“It wasn’t a million miles off the mark, definitely not,” Tyrone defender Ronan McNamee said today.

“It’s hard to know how to talk about it, but nobody in the dressing room would disagree with the (player) statement.”

A recent study revealed that Tyrone spent just €487,127 on their county teams last year, placing them as the 25th county on the list. In comparison Mayo, who ended Tyrone’s season last August, topped the table with €1,632,448.

But veteran Cavanagh insisted this afternoon that the county team is sufficiently resourced in a move to put an end to the controversy:

On behalf of the Tyrone senior football squad (2017), I wish to make it known that we are very well resourced by the County Board, Club Tyrone and our other sponsors and brand partners. Yes, there were some issues of a minor nature but these matters are being addressed. We are most grateful for the continued support of the County Board, Club Tyrone and our other generous sponsors. Is Mise

Sean Cavanagh,
Tyrone senior  football captain

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

‘The GPA have completely slept in on this’ – Player body comes in for strong criticism

2013 All-Star will discuss Banner return with Clare management following Fitzgibbon success

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Kevin O'Brien

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)