GERMAN TONY MARTIN won stage two of the Tour of Beijing today, claiming the race lead in the process.
His namesake, the Irish rider, Dan Martin came in sixth.
Martin (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) completed the 126-kilometre stage from Bird’s Nest Piazza to Cultural Square in a time of two hours, 37 minutes and 49 seconds, crossing the finishing line without a rival in sight.
Irishman Daniel Martin (Garmin-Sharp) was part of a group of seven riders tied for second, 46 seconds behind Martin. Joining him were Italian trio Francesco Gavazzi (Astana Pro Team), Eros Capecchi (Liquigas-Cannondale) and Rinaldo Nocentini (AG2R-La Mondiale), Polish pair Tomasz Marczynski (Vacansoleil) and Rafal Majka (Team Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank), and Dutchman Tom Jelte Slagter (Rabobank).
A five-man group containing the likes of Mathias Frank (BMC Racing Team) and Maxim Belkov (Katusha) made the first breakaway of the stage after 34 kilometres. They worked their way to a lead of just over three-and-a-half minutes but were eventually hauled in by the peloton.
Martin made his own break away on the penultimate climb of the day and no one could go with the world time trial champion who charged away from his rivals to post a convincing win. The 27-year-old leads the general classification standings by 50 seconds, with Gavazzi and Capecchi (+52s) just behind.
Stage three will see riders race from Green Sea Forest Park to Yan Qing Ba Da Ling Great Wall over a gruelling 162.5 kilometres.
Results from the second stage of the Tour of Beijing on Wednesday:
1. Tony Martin (GER/Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 2hr 53min 05secs
2. Francesco Gavazzi (ITA/Astana Pro Team) at 46 secs
3. Eros Capecchi (ITA/Liquigas-Cannondale) same time
4. Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA/AG2R La Mondiale) same time
5. Tomasz Marczynski (POL/Vacansoleil – DCM Procycling) same time
6. Daniel Martin (IRl/Garmin-Sharp) same time
7. Tom Jelte Slagter (NED/Rabobank Cycling Team) same time
8. Rafal Majka (POL/Team Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) same time
9. David Tanner (AUS/Saxo Bank-Tinkoff) at 50 secs
10. Simon Clarke (Aus/Orica GreenEDGE) same time
Overall classification after stage two
1. Tony Martin (GER/Omega Pharma-QuickStep) in 5hr 30mins 44secs
2. Francesco Gavazzi (ITA/Astana Pro Team) at 50 secs
3. Eros Capecchi (ITA/Liquigas-Cannondale) at 52 secs
4. Edvald Boasson-Hagen (NOR/Sky Procycling) at 56 secs
5. Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA/AG2R La Mondiale) at 56 secs
6. Daniel Martin (IRl/Garmin-Sharp) at 56 secs
7. Tomasz Marczynski (POL/Vacansoleil – DCM Procycling) at 56 secs
8. Rafal Majka (POL/Team Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) at 56 secs
9. Tim Wellens (BEL/Lotto-Belisol Team) at 1-00
10. Rui Alberto Costa (POR/Movistar Team) at 1-00