Danny Furlong scored a brace tonight.

Wexford stumble over the line in nine-goal thriller despite leading 5-0

The Youths conceded four goals against Galway United in a bizarre 13-minute, second-half spell.

Wexford Youths 5 Galway United 4

WEXFORD YOUTHS HELD off a Galway United comeback to come out on top of an incredible nine-goal thriller at Ferrycarrig Park.

The 5-4 win all but guarantees the Youths a place in the relegation play-off and steers them away from the automatic relegation place.

Aidan Keenan had the home side in front after just three minutes before Danny Furlong and Conor Whittle put the Youths 3-0 up before half-time.

Further second-half goals from Andrew O’Connor and Furlong had the home side cruising 5-0 eight minutes into the second half.

But four goals inside 14 frantic second-half minutes from Kevin Devaney (2), Conor Melody and an Aidan Friel own goal almost allowed the visitors to grab a share of the spoils.

The home side got off to the perfect start with the lead goal after three minutes. Lee Chin found Aidan Keenan in the penalty area, and he held off United defender Kilian Cantwell to slot the ball past United keeper Kevin Horgan for the perfect start.

A quick Youths double had them 3-0 in front at the break. Jonny Bonner’s quick free-kick tried to find Friel on the right, but for an interception by Devaney.

He tried to play it back to his goalkeeper Kevin Horgan but Danny Furlong was alert to the chance and got ahead of the goalkeeper to double the Youths’ lead.

One minute later Conor Whittle made it 3-0. Killian Cantwell looked to find Stephen Walsh on the edge of the box. Walsh couldn’t control and Whittle nipped in and played the ball through Walsh’s legs before firing low past Horgan.

The Youths started the second half as they finished the first and made it 4-0 within five minutes. Craig McCabe’s long throw was flicked on by Chin and Andrew O’Connor was on hand to shoot past Horgan.

Four became five just three minutes later as Furlong capitalised on poor Walsh defending to fire past Horgan and make it 5-0.

But Galway United weren’t for lying down. Kevin Devaney’s superb curling effort into the top corner made it 5-1, before seven minutes later Friel put past his own goalkeeper, after a dangerous cross from Gary Shanahan, to give Galway United hope.

Two further goals within two minutes had Galway United within one goal of a most-unlikely comeback. Vinny Faherty found Devaney on the left and he fired low past Doyle into the bottom corner for United’s third goal.

And they weren’t finished there. Conor Melody’s powerful drive from the edge of the penalty area made it 5-4 and gave the visitors a chance of grabbing an unlikely point. But it wasn’t to be and the home side held on for the three points in the most incredible game seen in Ferrycarrig Park this season.

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle; Aidan Friel, Chris Kenny (Peter Higgins 69), Lee Grace, Craig McCabe; Conor Whittle (Shane Dempsey 81), Lee Chin, Jonny Bonner, Andrew O’Connor; Aidan Keenan (Danny Furlong 27), Paul Murphy.

Galway United: Kevin Horgan, Stephen Walsh (Stephen Folan 55), Kilian Cantwell, Marc Ludden, Gary Shanahan, Paul Sinnott, Alex Byrne, Kevin Devaney; Vinny Faherty (Padraic Cunningham 79), Enda Curran (Conor Melody 45+ 4).

Referee: Graham Kelly

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Go on my Son, Liverpool to win and other Premier League bets to consider

Are Liverpool and United serious title contenders plus more Premier League talking points

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.