All McCoist acknowledges the travelling Rangers support. Lynne Cameron/PA Wire
Close quarters

Winning start for Newco Rangers after extra-time win over Brechin City

All McCoist’s men technically pulled off a shock by defeating their opponents from Scotland’s Second Division.

RANGERS REINCARNATION AS a Third Division club got off to a shaky start as they needed a Lee McCulloch goal in extra time to edge past Brechin City 2-1 in the first round of the Challenge Cup at Glebe Park.

It was the first competitive match for the fallen Glasgow giants, who are more accustomed to the Champions League than the Challenge Cup, since the club was reformed as a new company following liquidation.

The Ibrox club, whose new owners Sevco Scotland were only granted a temporary licence by the Scottish Football Association to play the match late on Friday night, got off to the perfect start when Andrew Little gave them a fourth-minute lead.

However, the expected goal-rush never materialised for Rangers against their Second Division opponents.

Brechin’s Andy Jackson poked home a 43rd minute equaliser to ruin the party atmosphere amongst the 3,000 travelling support, who temporarily swelled their host town’s 7,000 population.

International experience

After a goalless second half, it was veteran Lee McCulloch, one of only a few first team regulars from previous seasons to transfer his contract to the new side, who spared Rangers’ blushes. His 102nd minute winner to book their place in the next round.

Despite a mass exodus of first team stars in the summer manager Ally McCoist was able to field a starting line-up that included six internationals although the Ibrox club could only name four substitutes on the bench.

New captain, American international Carlos Bocanegra, took his place in defence alongside Romanian Dorin Goian and Lee Wallace and Kirk Broadfoot while former Hearts midfielder Ian Black and Lewis MacLeod made their debuts.

Gers fans were already making their presence loudly felt before Little sparked mass celebrations after he got in behind the Brechin defence and lifted the ball over the outrushing Michael Andrews.

Wallace stung the palms of Andrews with a fierce strike before Brechin drew level. Broadfoot misjudged the flight of Ewan Moyes’ floated pass and Jackson got in behind to nick the ball through the legs of Alexander.

Andrews tipped a curling free-kick from Black round the post and the keeper came to Brechin’s rescue again when he saved MacLeod’s shot with his legs.

In extra time Little had the ball in the net again when he stretched to put the ball past Andrews but his effort was chalked off for offside.

It was McCulloch who came to the rescue for Rangers in the 102nd minute when he connected with MacLeod’s corner to send home a deflected header.

- © AFP, 2012

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.