- Jonathan Sexton has waded into the discussion about banning tackling from underage rugby by saying it’s not the same sport without it.
- There was good news for Joe Schmidt as Italian stalwart Marco Castrogiovanni has been banned for two weeks and will subsequently miss the Six Nations’ clash with Ireland on 12th March.
- Ulster wing Rory Scholes has agreed a deal with Edinburgh and will join the Scottish outfit on a two-year deal this summer.
- The Tipperary hurlers have got two players back from injury for their weekend clash with Waterford…but they’ve lost two more.
- The draws have taken place for the 2016 Dublin senior hurling and football championships.
- Adam Johnson is facing up to ten years in prison after he was found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child.
- The Premier League’s ‘big five’ have denied their meeting in a London hotel was about a breakaway European Super League.
- Lionel Messi, Usain Bolt, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams and Shelly-Ann Fraser are all in the running for the top prizes at this year’s Laureus World Sports Awards.
The Best Thing We Shared
Leinster have been putting together a number of interesting videos about some of the newer faces in their squad this season.
The latest episode features new Irish international Josh van der Flier who, thankfully, confirms how to pronounce his surname.Source: Leinster Rugby TV/YouTube
On The Record
Honestly, and without fudging the lines or you thinking I am not telling you anything, I literally will do whatever Jim tells me what to do, and that’s as simple as being a Maor Uisce, sitting in at a training sessions or kicking balls back out to boys that are kicking.”Former world boxing champion Bernard Dunne is just thrilled to be a part of the Dublin football setup as a performance and lifestyle coach.
Where We Were Today
Ryan Bailey was hanging out with former Tottenham and Arsenal midfielder David Bentley in Dublin, ahead of a bumper Saturday on the Setanta Sports pack that includes the North London derby and McGregor v Diaz at UFC 196.
We’re just days away from McGregor v Diaz and the build-up is tipping along nicely. It’s been helped by Countdown to UFC 196 which is essential viewing if you’d like to get in the mood ahead of Saturday.Source: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship/YouTube
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!