This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 8 °C Monday 10 December, 2018

Injury-time winner sees 10-man UCD regain the Collingwood Cup

The 47-time champions defied the first-half dismissal of Georgie Kelly to defeat Queen’s University.

Daire O'Connor and Eamon Fyfe UCD's Daire O'Connor is tackled by Eamon Fyfe of Queen's University. Source: Philip Magowan/INPHO

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN have won the prestigious Collingwood Cup for the 47th time.

A goal in the second minute of injury time from Daire O’Connor sealed a 2-1 victory over hosts Queen’s University in this afternoon’s final in Belfast.

O’Connor was afterwards named player of the tournament. The 20-year-old midfielder was also on target in Monday’s quarter-final win against Maynooth University.

Today’s triumph was a sweet one for UCD on the back of the disappointment of last year’s final, in which the 2016 champions were on the wrong side of a 2-1 result against University College Cork, who scored in the fourth minute of injury time.

UCC’s defence of the Collingwood Cup ground to a halt yesterday when they suffered a 4-3 semi-final defeat to Queen’s.

Georgie Kelly appeals to the referee after receiving  a red card Georgie Kelly receives his marching orders. Source: Philip Magowan/INPHO

UCD, who overcame Dublin City University in their semi-final yesterday, went in front in the 24th minute of today’s decider thanks to Timmy Molloy.

But Queen’s, the 23-time winners who were aiming to clinch their first title since 1985, were back on level terms a couple of minutes before the break when Ronan Young found the net.

The balance appeared to be tipped in the hosts’ favour on the stroke of half-time when Georgie Kelly, the top goalscorer in the SSE Airtricity League First Division in 2017, was shown a red card for a challenge.

Both sides went in search of a winner in the second half but it didn’t arrive until the clock ticked beyond the 90th minute, with O’Connor beating Queen’s goalkeeper Conor Lally with a superb effort to ensure that the Collingwood Cup returned to Dublin.

UCD celebrate with the Collingwood Cup Celebrations for the victorious UCD side. Source: Philip Magowan/INPHO

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Paul Dollery

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel