This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Monday 27 May, 2019
Advertisement

Anelka set to fight FA on 'quenelle' charge

The France forward says he is not ‘anti-Semitic or racist’.

Battle: the French star will fight the charges.
Battle: the French star will fight the charges.
Image: John Walton/EMPICS Sport

WEST BROM STRIKER Nicolas Anelka has suggested that he will contest the Football Association charge over his controversial ‘quenelle’ gesture.

West Brom striker Anelka is facing a minimum five-match ban after the FA opted to act on the salute he performed when scoring in a 3-3 draw with West Ham last month.

The Frenchman has repeatedly denied his celebration held anti-Semitic connotations and he reinforced that point again in a message on his official Facebook page today, which appeared to suggest that he is ready to contest the FA’s decision.

Referring to a video that he had earlier posted on Twitter, in which prominent Jewish leader Roger Cukierman — president of the Representative Council of the Jewish Institutions of France and vice-president of the World Jewish Congress — argued that Anelka’s use of the ‘quenelle’ was not worthy of a hefty punishment, the 34-year-old requested for the charge against him to be dropped.

“I ask the English Federation to kindly remove the charges alleged against me. And I repeat, I am not anti-Semitic or racist,” said Anelka.

Collymore blasts BBC news presenter for suggesting he has been ‘on the wrong side of the law’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

TheScore Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)