This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Friday 16 November, 2018
Advertisement

5 players cut from Galway hurling squad including former captains and All-Star winners

Players have been told that it is an open-ended squad.

The Galway Team The Galway team before their clash with Clare in July Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO

GALWAY HURLING MANAGER Micheal Donoghue is turning to youth in a bid to end the county’s All-Ireland famine with five long-serving players not included in a 40-man squad for winter training.

Former captains David Collins, Fergal Moore and Andy Smith, along with other experienced performers such as Cyril Donnellan and Iarla Tannian, have not been included in the squad which has commenced conditioning training.

5 players cut from Galway hurling squad including former captains and All-Star winners
1 / 5
  • Iarla Tannian

    GalwaySource: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
  • Fergal Moore

    Source: James Crombie/INPHO
  • David Collins

    Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
  • Andy Smith

    Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
  • Cyril Donnellan

    Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Players have been told that it is an open-ended squad and that changes could be made before the national league begins.

Donoghue, who was only appointed a few days before Christmas last year, is heading into his first full winter of preparation and has assembled a training squad with a strong leaning towards youth.

Michael Donoghue Galway manager Michael Donoghue Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO

Promising underage players such as Sean Loftus, Sean McInerney, Thomas Monaghan, Dan Nevin, Kevin McHugo, Gavin Lally and Michael Conneely are among the newcomers drafted in.

Sean Loftus celebrates 2015 Galway minor winning captain Sean Loftus Source: James Crombie/INPHO

And with a host of others such as Matthew Keating, Shane Moloney, Padraig Brehony, Kevin Hussey and Eanna Burke expected to step up having had some exposure to this level, team manager Donoghue and his selectors will have a new-look Galway side heading into the 2017 campaign.

Padraig Brehony Galway hurler Padraig Brehony Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

The departure of the five experienced players — Moore, Collins and Tannian are former All-Stars — will bring an era to an end in Galway.

The five were a senior part of the squad which staged a successful heave against manager Anthony Cunningham last year, shortly after they were defeated by Kilkenny in an All-Ireland final replay.

The new Galway squad will be put through their paces by Polish native Lukasz Kirszenstein who has joined the Tribesmen from All-Ireland champions Tipperary.
Galway, relegated last season, will open their NHL Division 1B campaign away to Offaly on February 12.

Lukasz Kirszenstein Lukasz Kirszenstein Source: Colm O'Neill/INPHO

Galway will meet Dublin in the quarter-finals of the Leinster SHC next summer as they bid to end their All-Ireland famine which stretches back to 1988.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

€20k ‘top-up’ to help Galway as Leinster still say no to home hurling games out west

Demand for seating will be key in deciding if Dublin footballers are to travel in 2017

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

John Fallon

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)