This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Sunday 16 December, 2018
Advertisement

A month after winning the belt, UFC champ admits he's unlikely to defend it

Georges St-Pierre isn’t keen on fighting at 185 pounds again, despite being the division’s champion.

UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre.
UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre.
Image: Andy Cowan

GEORGES ST-PIERRE’S REIGN as UFC middleweight champion may turn out to be short-lived.

Less than five weeks since he defeated Michael Bisping to win the belt at UFC 217, GSP has admitted that he’s reluctant to fight at 185 pounds again.

The 36-year-old Canadian returned from a four-year lay-off last month to submit Bisping in the third round of their headline bout at Madison Square Garden.

Before his lengthy hiatus began following a successful UFC welterweight title defence against Johny Hendricks in November 2013, GSP only competed in the 170-pound division.

He told TSN that he doesn’t believe it’s healthy for him to compete in a heavier weight class: “We’ll talk about it, but I’m not sure if I compete I will go back at 185 [pounds]. I don’t think so.”

GSP added: “I don’t think it’s a good thing to do — force myself to eat to gain muscle mass. I’ve always been against performance-enhancing drugs and I did it the natural way. There is no easy way.

“I did it the hard way, and it was to gain weight and to maintain my muscle mass, and it was very hard, and it was not healthy. I think the body has a natural weight it can perform at its best athletic ability. For me, the weight that I am now is my perfect weight.”

The latest comments from GSP — who has revealed that he is currently suffering from colitis, an inflammation of the colon which causes abdominal pain, cramps and diarrhoea — are likely to anger UFC president Dana White.

Reports have suggested that the Canadian legend’s contract for his title shot against Bisping included a clause for an immediate defence against interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker, who’s been linked to an imminent clash with former title-holder Luke Rockhold.

Last week, White told reporters he’d be “super pissed” if GSP doesn’t defend the strap.

Spectacular KO of Overeem earns Ngannou a UFC heavyweight title shot

Holloway on McGregor: ‘It’s all fun and games until the guy gets salty’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Paul Dollery

Read next:

COMMENTS (5)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel