Hazard's header, Sanchez's solo effort - and the rest of tonight's Prem action

It was another bad night for Roberto Martinez and Everton.

Image: John Walton

EDEN HAZARD’S FIRST-HALF header ensured Chelsea maintained their five-point advantage at the Premier League summit as Jose Mourinho’s side won 1-0 at West Ham United on Wednesday.

Having secured their first trophy of the season by beating Tottenham Hotspur in Sunday’s League Cup final, Mourinho’s team strengthened their chances of delivering more silverware to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea were helped in that aim by Manchester City’s defeat at Liverpool while they were on Wembley duty and despite the best efforts of a West Ham side determined to halt a new year slump, they ensured that advantage was not lost.

But it would have been a different story had West Ham striker Diafra Sakho made more of a succession of good chances.

And the home side were left incensed by referee Andre Marriner’s failure to punish John Terry when the Chelsea skipper blocked Cheikhou Kouyate’s late run when he was on a booking.

Ultimately, though, Chelsea’s resolve ensured they head into a week-long break having taken another step towards the title, while West Ham are still looking for their second league win since the turn of the year.

Champions City preserved the status quo at the top with a 2-0 victory over Leicester that followed painful consecutive defeats by Barcelona and Liverpool.

City, who dropped out-of-form captain Vincent Kompany, took the lead in first-half stoppage time when David Silva followed in to score after he and Wilfried Bony had seen shots blocked.

James Milner sealed victory two minutes from time by smashing home a cross from Jesus Navas.

Third-place Arsenal also won, prevailing 2-1 at third-bottom Queens Park Rangers to remain four points below City.

Olivier Giroud poked home a cross from Kieran Gibbs in the 64th minute and Alexis Sanchez doubled Arsenal’s lead with a solo effort five minutes later — his first goal in eight games — before Charlie Austin replied for QPR.

Meanwhile, Swansea City striker Bafetimbi Gomis was said to be “fine” despite being stretchered off after collapsing on the pitch in the early stages of his side’s 3-2 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.

The Frenchman collapsed shortly after Nacer Chadli had volleyed Spurs ahead in the seventh minute and had to be given oxygen before being taken off on a stretcher.

The 29-year-old had fainted on three occasions during his time with previous club Lyon due to a vasovagal condition and a Swansea spokesperson later said that he was “fine”.

Ki Sung-yueng equalised for Swansea in the 19th minute, but second-half goals from Ryan Mason and Andros Townsend were enough to give Spurs the win despite a late effort from Swansea midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Meanwhile, Victor Moses and Mame Biram Diouf scored as Stoke City beat Everton 2-0.

- © AFP, 2015

Henderson scores one, sets up the other as Liverpool stretch their unbeaten league run

Newcastle defensive error gifts Ashley Young an 89th-minute winner

About the author:


Read next: