This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Sunday 29 March, 2020
Advertisement

Here we go again: Seanie Johnston resubmits his inter-county transfer request

The wantaway Cavan forward is hopeful that his move to Kildare will be approved at the second time of asking.

Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

THE INTERMINABLE SEANIE JOHNSTON transfer saga looks set to run and run after the wantaway Cavan forward confirmed on Friday that he has resubmitted his request for an inter-county transfer.

Johnston’s proposed move from his home club Cavan Gaels to St Kevin’s in Kildare was rejected by the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) last month on the grounds that he had not supplied sufficient proof that his primary residence is now in Straffan.

According to the CCCC’s written decision, seen by the Irish Independent, the committee ruled that Johnston could have provided additional documentation along with the lease and utility bill submitted with his transfer request.

The CCCC also expressed a concern that the move runs contrary to the Association’s ethos as “the primary, if not sole, purpose of this residency appeared from the evidence gathered to be to enable the player to play inter-county football with a county to which he could claim no obvious allegiance.”

Speaking to Kildare radio station KFM on Friday evening, Johnston revealed that he has decided to file his request again with new documents rather than appeal the original decision to turn down the move.

“I’ve resubmitted my transfer request today, and obviously I’m very hopeful now that it will be approved.

“I believe that what I previously provided was a lot more information than most others do in seeking an inter-county transfer, but it was considered to be not enough at the time. So I’ve now resubmitted it with all the information that Croke Park said was required for me to submit, so hopefully it will be approved.”

A spokesperson for Cavan County Board told TheScore.ie this morning that their position on Johnston’s move remains unchanged.

“What we’ve said at all times and that doesn’t change is first of all, we don’t want to see anyone leaving and we particularly don’t want to see anyone leaving their clubs.

This isn’t an internal transfer, so ultimately Cavan County Board don’t have a decision in whether or not it is sanctioned to be proper.

It was Croke Park’s job to ascertain whether or not he is resident there, and they’ve done that. If they’re not satisfied, then so be it, and if they are satisfied, so be it as well.

“I’d say if he’s going again, he’s confident that whatever he has in his file or his documents is enough to take it through.”

The west’s awake: 4 reasons Mayo cruised past sorry Dubs

Taking stick: Five things we learned from the weekend’s NHL

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Niall Kelly

Read next:

COMMENTS