BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 8°C Thursday 22 October 2020
Advertisement

Jose Fonte signs new three-year deal and announced as new Southampton captain

Have the Premier League club turned a corner after a litany of high-profile exits?

Image: Adam Davy/EMPICS Sport

IT SEEMS LIKE Southampton have managed to steady the ship after losing five key players (and a manager) to other clubs this summer.

Centre-back Jose Fonte has put pen-to-paper on a three-year contract that will keep him at the club until 2017. The 30 year-old was the subject of some interest from Cardiff and Hull but has given new manager Ronald Koeman a massive lift by agreeing to stay.

He will also take over from the departed Adam Lallana as team captain.

Recently, club chairman Ralph Krueger said that neither Morgan Schneiderlin or Jay Rodriguez would be sold, despite Tottenham, now managed by former boss Mauricio Pochettino, showing an interest in both players. The French midfielder took to Twitter to voice his displeasure but Krueger re-iterated the club’s stance earlier this week.

During the summer window, the club has sold Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert to Liverpool, Luke Shaw to Manchester United and Calum Chambers to Arsenal. But, by retaining some players and finally making some new acquisitions, it seems like the worst is over.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Fulham v Southampton - Craven Cottage Morgan Schneiderlin's future at Southampton is still unclear despite the club digging in its heels. Source: John Walton/PA Archive/Press Association Images

However, speaking at today’s press conference ahead of a weekend friendly against Bayer Leverkusen, Koeman did reveal that even though Schneiderlin has been told that he won’t be sold, it’s still a tense situation, with the Dutchman unable to confirm if he will be staying:

I spoke to Morgan this morning. It’s difficult because the player makes it difficult. I spoke to him with our chairman and the situation has not changed: we don’t sell Schneiderlin and he has to accept that. He’s not in the squad for tomorrow because he said he’s not in the right physical or mental way. One side I can understand but we said, ‘Okay, we’ll give you the weekend off to think about this situation. On Monday, we have a training session and we have one week to prepare for the match against Liverpool so now it’s up to him.”

‘Arry’s Transfer Window: Cork City’s Lenihan a wanted man while United bail on Vermaelen deal

CAS proceedings begin as Suarez looks to get four-month ban halved

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

About the author:

Eoin O'Callaghan

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)