File pic. Alamy Stock Photo

Premier League clubs opt against suspending season to combat rise in Covid cases

Six of the 10 matches due to be played in the top flight last weekend were postponed due to outbreaks.

LAST UPDATE | 20 Dec 2021

PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS have decided against any suspension of the season as a means of bringing the latest coronavirus crisis under control.

Six of the 10 matches due to be played in the top flight last weekend were postponed because of Covid-19 outbreaks within clubs.

It had been reported that clubs would consider calling off the round of games scheduled for December 28 to 30.

However, following a shareholders’ meeting involving representatives of the 20 teams on Monday, the clubs have opted to continue with the season as planned.

A league statement read: “It was confirmed at a Premier League club meeting today that while recognising a number of clubs are experiencing Covid-19 outbreaks and challenges, it is the league’s collective intention to continue the current fixture schedule where safely possible.

“The health and wellbeing of all concerned remains our priority and the league will continue to monitor and reflect public health guidance, always proceeding with caution.”

The EFL has also indicated its intention to continue as scheduled, while the Football Association has moved to assist with the fixture backlog caused by Covid by scrapping replays in the FA Cup third and fourth rounds.

The Premier League said clubs had discussed the “adaption” of the Covid-19 postponement process in response to the impact of the highly transmissible Omicron variant.

A number of clubs have criticised the process, with Chelsea “deeply disappointed” to have their request for a postponement at Wolves on Sunday rejected.

The league also provided an update on vaccination rates among top-flight players and staff.

16% of players have yet to receive a single vaccine dose, with the remaining 84% described by the league as being “on the vaccination journey”. It is understood 77% of players in the league are double vaccinated.

The NHS reports that among 25 to 29-year-olds, 78.5% have only received one dose of a vaccine. The average age of a Premier League player is 26.9.

Among players and staff combined, 92% have had at least one Covid-19 vaccine dose so far.

The league has committed to publishing vaccination rates at the end of each month, beginning in January.

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters wrote to clubs last week urging them to “strongly encourage” players to get vaccinated, while Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said getting the jabs was the “socially responsible” thing to do.

The EFL has been hit by a spate of postponements too, but also plans to continue with its season and with this week’s planned Carabao Cup ties.

Its chief executive Trevor Birch said: “We will continue to work with clubs, authorities and other agencies to monitor the Covid-19 case rate and be prepared to respond accordingly, yet for now the view remains that we can continue to deliver games safely where clubs have sufficient healthy personnel in place, on and off the pitch.”

The FA announced its board had decided on Friday to scrap third and fourth-round replays “in the wider interest of English football”.

Press Association
Your Voice
Readers Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel