Advertisement
Friday 3 February 2023 Dublin: 10°C
Tom Hogan/INPHO
# Challenge Accepted
'Be careful what you f***ing wish for': Spike O'Sullivan sets up Vegas fight with former world champ
O’Sullivan will fight as the co-main event to Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez on 15 September, and he seems to have found an opponent.

WORLD-RANKED CORK middleweight Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan [28-2, 20KOs] has verbally agreed to fight former IBF World middleweight champion David Lemieux on the undercard of the Golovkin-Canelo rematch in Las Vegas on 15 September.

Canadian Lemieux [39-4, 33KOs] rebounded from his WBO world-title defeat to former O’Sullivan conqueror Billy Joe Saunders with a 12-round win over tough Frenchman Karim Achour in May.

The 29-year-old issued the following challenge to the Mahon man last Friday:

In an interview published earlier today by Ring Magazine, Lemieux told The Bible of Boxing’s Michael Woods that he had decided to remain in the middleweight division to settle ‘unfinished business’, this despite frequent struggles to make the 160-pound limit – including versus Achour two months ago.

“I’m looking forward to fighting ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan next,” Lemieux said. “I hope he comes out of his hideout, and I’m hoping that it would be on September 15 under Canelo-Golovkin 2.

“I have many years to give to the sport, the best is yet to come. We have some unfinished business at 160, starting in September with O’Sullivan.

Spike doesn’t back away; he comes to fight, he’s a tough cookie, so it would give the fans a real fight. It would be a war, fireworks guaranteed!

O’Sullivan, who had been away on holidays, responded to the Canadian this evening with a simple message before the pair continued to trade transatlantic barbs on Twitter:

David Lemieux, challenge accepted. Be careful what you fucking wish for.

Exclusive Six
Nations Analysis

Get Murray Kinsella’s exclusive analysis of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign this spring

Become a Member

Both men are promoted by Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy, with the 34-year-old O’Sullivan having long been all but confirmed to fight in the co-main event to Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez’s feverishly anticipated rematch at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.

The Paschal Collins-trained puncher is in line to fight promotional stablemate Canelo Alvarez regardless of who emerges victorious from 15 September’s headliner, but will first have to see off the formidable threat of Lemieux, who held the IBF middleweight belt in 2015.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

‘I might not be the same man coming out of it’: Bellew says Usyk fight would have to be his last

Your Voice
Readers Comments
9
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment

    Leave a commentcancel