This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 16 °C Wednesday 19 September, 2018
Advertisement

Tipp All-Ireland winner and dual player Bergin calls time on his inter-county days

He had switched codes to the footballers earlier this year, but has opted out of the panel for 2018.

Kieran Bergin.
Kieran Bergin.
Image: James Crombie/INPHO

DUAL PLAYER KIERAN Bergin has opted out of the Tipperary football panel for 2018, hence bringing an end to his inter-county days.

In May, the 2016 All-Ireland winner linked up with the Tipperary senior football squad — 16 days after leaving the Premier county’s hurling panel.

Bergin came off the bench for Liam Kearns’ footballers in championship meetings with Cork and Cavan.

The Killenaule clubman’s last appearance with the hurlers came in late March, after being involved throughout the League and coming on as a substitute in their 2016 All-Ireland final win over Kilkenny.

Speaking to Tipp FM yesterday, the 31-year-old confirmed that he was not in any way forced from the hurling set-up.

“I think it was in my head for a long time,” he said.

“When work was getting extremely busy, it’s something that I had spoken with my wife (about) for a number of months. It doesn’t help that much either if you’re not getting as much game time.”

And he says he won’t be rejoining the footballers for the upcoming season.

“The football, that’s not going to continue past this year as well,” he continued.

“I said I’d give it a go for one year and I think I’m at a stage where I want to try and focus on work and focus on family life.”

The42 has just published its first book, Behind The Lines, a collection of some of the year’s best sports stories. Pick up your copy in Eason’s, or order it here today (€10):

Ulster confirm Jordi Murphy signing on two-year deal

Serena Williams ‘very likely’ to make her return at the Australian Open

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Emma Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel