Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 5°C Thursday 4 March 2021

UCD cry foul as Dundalk player booked twice but not sent off

Andy Boyle received two yellow cards but the red was not forthcoming.

Andy Boyle heads on goal during last night's match.
Andy Boyle heads on goal during last night's match.
Image: Morgan Treacy/INPHO

CONFUSION REIGNED IN Oriel Park on Monday evening as Dundalk’s Andy Boyle was yellow-carded twice without getting sent off during their 5-2 win over UCD.

With the score at 4-1 to Town after 75 minutes, Boyle was adjudged to have fouled Barry McCabe in the penalty area late on, referee Jim McKell pointed to the spot and awarded Boyle a yellow card. However, the centre half had already been cautioned early in the second half but amazingly, no red was forthcoming.

The match though carried on regardless, after Robbie Benson converted the penalty, with Dundalk’s full compliment. There were 15 minutes remaining at the time but Pat Hoban scored the last goal of the game for Town as he converted from the spot.

It was a bizarre incident to end a game that hardly lacked in entertainment. UCD players, nor the bench, didn’t seem to latch onto the fact that Boyle should have been sent for an early bath while unsurprisingly, the defender walked away from the situation sheepishly. It was a moment most embarrassing for referee McKell. 

The official has taken charge of just four Premier Division games this season and before tonight, showed four red cards. The irony isn’t lost that when he should have made it five in five, he made a shocking error. 

– Additional reporting by Patrick McCarry

Dundalk’s sexy football too much for prudish Students

Conan slays Drogs as Saints hit six in Richmond riot

About the author:

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel