This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Sunday 16 December, 2018
Advertisement

Joshua not willing to rush into Fury fight

Despite the hype surrounding a potential bout with Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua says he is not ready for a world title fight.

WBC International and Commonwealth heavyweight champion and British heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.
WBC International and Commonwealth heavyweight champion and British heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.

ANTHONY JOSHUA BELIEVES he still needs more experience before a potential fight with world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.

Joshua was pushed beyond the third round for the first time in his professional career as he knocked out Dillian Whyte in the seventh on Saturday.

The victory saw Joshua – who won Olympic gold in 2012 – add the British heavyweight title to his WBC International and Commonwealth honours.

Viewed as a prospective future opponent for Fury, who holds the WBO, IBO and WBA (Super) heavyweight titles following his stunning victory over Wladimir Klitschko last month, Joshua is now 15-0.

However, speaking to Sky Sports News, the 26-year-old said: “I can take a lot away from that fight, but there is still a lot to work on.

“I could do better, but there were things I learnt that I didn’t get from my previous 14 opponents.

“I could fight [David] Haye, I could fight Fury, but you can’t just come into professional boxing and think you are going to blitz everybody.

“I am slowly getting experience after two years as a pro. People like Fury have been pros for eight to 10 years. I don’t need to go straight into the deep end for do-or-die fights. I need to build slowly.

“That’s what great about Fury; he built experience, he had been down and got up. He showed heart and fought his way back up to be champion. That’s exactly the route I am going to take.”

Conor McGregor outlines where he goes from here after dethroning Jose Aldo

Jose Aldo’s corner react to the moment their man’s long reign as champion ends in an instant

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)