Samu Kerevi, right, gets through the tackle of Argentina's Leonardo Senatore as he goes on to score a try. Alastair Grant
standing out

Kerevi at the double as Wallabies tame Pumas

Australia outscored Argentina four tries to two, with forwards Adam Coleman and Dean Mumm also crossing.

SAMU KEREVI SCORED two tries as Australia beat a slipshod Argentina 33-21 at Twickenham on Saturday to finish runners-up in the Rugby Championship.

Defeat meant Argentina were left bottom of the table.

This was the first Rugby Championship match played in the northern hemisphere after Argentina opted to move a ‘home’ fixture and took place just over a year since Australia’s 29-15 World Cup-semi-final defeat of the Pumas at Twickenham.

Success meant the Wallabies tasted victory for just the third time in nine Tests since their World Cup final defeat by runaway Rugby Championship winners New Zealand.

Australia outscored the Pumas four tries to two, with forwards Adam Coleman and Dean Mumm also crossing. Wallaby centre Bernard Foley kicked 13 points.

By contrast Argentina were left ruing three missed first-half goal-kicks from Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, in for injured first-choice kicker Nicolas Sanchez.

The Wallabies were twice reduced to 14 men in the first half as Michael Hooper and Coleman were both sin-binned for high tackles.

Yet they still turned round 18-8 in front.

But Jeronimo de la Fuente’s converted try cut their lead to 18-15 early in the second half only for opposing centre Kerevi to score his second minutes later.

Gonzalez Iglesias’s penalty reduced Australia’s lead to just 25-21 with 10 minutes left but that was as close as they got, with a Foley penalty and Mumm’s late try extending Australia’s advantage.

“We hung in there for large parts,” said Australia captain and hooker Stephen Moore.

“We played with 14 for 20 minutes, so I’m proud of the effort.”

Australia coach Michael Cheika added: “There was chaos going on a lot of the time but when we got a bit of shape, we looked pretty good.”

For Argentina there was frustration at a failure to make the most of their chances.

“I am angry, we could have won the game, but we made mistakes again,” said Pumas captain Agustin Creevy.

- ‘Cathedral’ -

Argentina coach Daniel Hourcade added: “It wasn’t like playing at home, but it’s a great motivation to play at this cathedral of rugby.”

“I think we could have won, that’s why the defeat hurts more.”


Australia were fortunate not to concede a second-minute try when scrum-half Will Genia’s clearance kick was charged down by Pumas No 8 Leonardo Senatore only for Gonzaled Iglesias to regather in an offside position.

A far more controversial call by English replay official Rowan Kitt in the sixth minute helped Australia take the lead.

Dane Haylett-Perry burst down the right and sent in second row Coleman.

Despite pictures appearing to show wing Haylett-Petty had knocked-on in the tackle, Kitt confirmed the try.

Foley’s conversion and subsequent penalty gave Australia a 10-0 lead.

Gonzalez Iglesias then pulled a kickable penalty to the left of the posts.

Australia were a man down when flanker Hooper was set to the sin-bin in the 17th minute for a high tackle on de la Fuente.

Argentina lock Matias Alemanno lost control as he tried to ground the ball for a try but, minutes later, he did score following a drive from a close-range line-out.

Gonzalez Iglesias again missed the kick at goal.

Foley made no mistake with his second successful penalty and then, from a central position 40 metres out, Gonzalez Iglesias was off target once more.

Hooper had not long returned when Australia were again a man down, with Coleman penalised for catching scrum-half Martin Landajo round the neck.

Yet it was Australia who scored next with a try a minute before half-time.

Creevy’s poor line-out throw gave Australia possession on the Pumas’ 22 and quick hands saw the ball worked right and then back left again before Kerevi, holding off Senatore, went over.

There was still time for Gonzalez Iglesias, at last on target with his fourth attempt, to cut Australia’s interval lead to 10 points.

The Pumas were back in the match in the 45th minute when, from a quick tap penalty, de la Fuente, twisting through several would-be tackles, went over for a fine try.

But, in an open match, Argentina were undone minutes later when centre Kerevi intercepted lock Guido Petti’s loose pass for a converted try.

Gonzalez Iglesias’s penalty took Argentina to within seven points and they ought to have equalised when Creevy knocked on in sight of the posts.

Gonzalez Iglesias, after a clash between Wallaby replacement Nick Phipps and the Argentrina physio, and Foley exchanged penalties.

Mumm, seizing on another Argentina mistake, then picked off Landajo’s pass for a 77th minute try.

© AFP 2016

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Clontarf, DU and St Mary’s among the winners in weekend’s domestic rugby action>

‘It was great to see him out in blue at long last’>