Dublin: 13°C Monday 20 September 2021

Last gasp City strike sinks Rovers at Turner's Cross

Dan Murray struck at the death to secure three point for Cork.

Dan Murray left it very, very late to score the only goal of the game.
Dan Murray left it very, very late to score the only goal of the game.
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

Cork City 1-0 Shamrock Rovers 

A LATE, LATE goal from Dan Murray ended Cork City’s four-match winless run and opened up the title race once more at Turner’s Cross tonight.

It looked like being a night of frustration for the home support as City enjoyed the better of the play but didn’t display the kind of cutting edge required to break down their visitors. By and large, both goalkeepers were mainly tested with long-range efforts, and it looked as if the hosts would regret Murray’s header wide in the 71stminute.

From a Ross Gaynor free kick on the left, the centre-back rose highest but couldn’t direct the ball to his liking and John O’Flynn couldn’t get a touch at the back post.

Otherwise, it was a game short on real quality, with Rovers seemingly happy to take a point. Stephen McPhail’s free kick in the first half and Kieran Waters’ dipping effort in the second half were their best chances but Mark McNulty dealt with both.

City pushed on in the closing stages in search of a winner, one which looked like it wouldn’t come until Colin Healy’s injury-time corner was perfectly delivered and Murray was there to head home.


Source: IrishRisingFilms/YouTube

CORK CITY: McNulty; Dunleavy, Murray, D Dennehy, Gaynor; G Morrissey, Healy; O’Flynn (D Morrissey 87), Buckley, Kearney (O’Shea 61), O’Sullivan.

SHAMROCK ROVERS: Murphy; Madden, Kenna, McGuinness, Byrne; Waters, Bayly, Cregg (Finn 59), McPhail, O’Connor (McCabe 80); Sheppard (Kilduff 74).

Referee: P Tuite (Dublin).

Early goal sees Pats edge Dundalk

‘It’s not going to be easy but we’ll give it our best shot’ – McCarthy looks ahead to Georgia clash

About the author:

Denis Hurley

Read next: