Wednesday 1 February 2023 Dublin: 6°C
INPHO/Lorraine O'Sullivan Limerick's Darragh O'Donovan celebrates
Limerick edge out Déise in thrilling Munster minor final replay
A good year continues for the Treaty.

Limerick 1-20

Waterford 4-8

LIMERICK were crowned Electric Ireland Munster minor hurling champions at Semple Stadium on a dramatic evening.

Crowd chaos affected the start of the game but the young Shannonsiders got the job done at the second attempt against Waterford in Thurles.

6,532 fans watched a magnificent second half unfold as Waterford gained the whip hand, leading by three points at one stage, before Limerick hit back to outscore their opponents by 0-9 to 0-2.

Stephen Bennett’s hat-trick goal for Waterford, in the 57th minute, levelled proceedings at 4-8 to 1-17 but Limerick had a kick left as points from top scorer Ronan Lynch, David Dempsey and Pat Ryan sealed the win.

This victory ensured that Limerick claimed a minor-senior Munster double for the first time since 1940. They will meet Galway or Laois in next month’s All-Ireland semi-final, with Waterford up against Antrim at Parnell Park in next Sunday’s quarter-final clash.

Limerick led by 1-7 to 2-2 at half-time but the game will also be remembered the pre-match crowd congestion that saw the start delayed by ten minutes.

Spectators made their way across the pitch from the New Stand to the Old Stand side of the field as the teams were warming up. And there were still hundreds of fans on the field during the playing of the national anthem, Amhrán na BhFiann. When the game finally got underway, it was Limerick who roared into a 0-5 to 0-0 led with 13 minutes on the watch.

Waterford were struggling but Stephen Bennett’s well-taken goal in the 17th minute, their first score of the game, settled the Déise. Dean Coleman responded with a Limerick point but Waterford hit back with points from Patrick Curran (free) and Bennett, with a beauty from distance.

INPHO/Lorraine O’Sullivan

Exclusive Six
Nations Analysis

Get Murray Kinsella’s exclusive analysis of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign this spring

Become a Member

Waterford were now within a point and they hit the front for the first time in the 23rd minute when Curran fed Adam Farrell for a goal from close range. Ronan Lynch tagged on a free to keep Limerick in contention and they struck for a goal in first half stoppage time when Lynch’s long free caused havoc in the Waterford full-back line, allowing namesake Cian to pounce with an excellent finish.

Scorers for Limerick: R Lynch 0-6 (5f), C Lynch 1-2, T Morrissey, B Nash & P Ryan 0-3 each, D Dempsey 0-2, D Coleman 0-1.

Scorers for Waterford: Stephen Bennett 3-2 (1-0f), A Farrell 1-0, P Curran 0-3 (1f), C Curran 0-2, C Gleeson 0-1.

LIMERICK: Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen); Richard English (Doon), Stephen Cahill (Tournafulla), Sean Finn (Bruff); Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), Sean Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon); Jamie Butler (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Darragh O’Donovan (Doon); David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell); Dean Coleman (Doon), Tom Morrissey (Ahane), Pat Ryan (Doon).

Subs: Edward Doyle (Monaleen) for Coleman (30),

WATERFORD: Gavin Power (Dungarvan); Cian Leamy (Ballyduff Upper), Kevin Daly (Dungarvan), William Hahessy (Clonea); Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart), Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion), Tom Devine (Modeligo); Michael Kearney (Ballyduff Upper), Micheál Harney (Bonmahon); Adam Farrell (De La Salle), Patrick Curran (Dungarvan), DJ Foran (Portlaw); Colm Roche (Shamrocks), Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart), Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater).

Subs: Cormac Curran (Brickey Rangers) for Roche (inj, 29).

Referee: John O’Brien (Tipperary).

Fans stream across Semple Stadium pitch during teams’ warm-up as minor final delayed

Your Voice
Readers Comments