This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 4 °C Wednesday 26 February, 2020

Heineken Cup: Julian Salvi at the double for Tigers as Welsh woes continue

Cardiff Blues suffered their third defeat in a row as Montpellier won away from home.

Julian Salvi dives over to score against Treviso.
Julian Salvi dives over to score against Treviso.
Image: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

18 GAMES IN for the Heineken Cup’s Scottish, Welsh and Italian participants and just one win [Ospreys] to show for their efforts.

Montpellier defeated Cardiff Blues 35-24 at Arms Park to slump to a third consecutive loss in Pool 6.

Cardiff led 9-6 after 24 minutes when Welsh international scrum-half Lloyd Williams received a straight red card for a dump tackle on Montepellier’s Benoit Paillaugue.

The French side soon made the man advantage count as Yoan Audrin crossed over for a try. Paillaugue added five more points from the boot to make it 19-15 at the break.

Mamuka Gorgodze looked to have settled the contest when he rumbled over for a 64th minute try but Rhys Patchell penalties kept the home side in touch.

It took another Paillaugue penalty – taking his match tally to 20 points – and a late Timoci Nagusa to finally shake the Blues loose.

Montpellier are in second place in Pool 6 now, five points back from runaway leaders Toulon.

Tigers survive fightback

Leicester Tigers, who once again left club captain Geordan Murphy on the bench, stormed to a 26-7 half-time lead over Benetton Treviso before almost conceding a losing bonus point.

The English side raced into a 19-0 lead at Welford Road before a Dean Budd try pegged the home side back.

Australian flanker Julian Salvi closed out the half with his second try and the match appeared to be a bust for the Italians.

However, four substitutions at the break by coach Franco Smith revitalised Treviso and replacement prop Lorenzo Cittadini crashed over for a 45th minute try.

Matt Smith and George Ford went try, conversion to stretch Leicester’s lead to 33-14 but two Di Bernardo penalties and a Christian Loamanu try made for an entertaining finale.

Referee George Clancy blew up the tie at 33-25 to Leicester but Treviso will fancy their chances of upsetting Tigers in Italy next week.

Leinster lose the battle of the unbeatables in France

Marmion puts hero-worship to one side as he trumps Yachvili

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Patrick McCarry

Read next: