This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Thursday 4 June, 2020
Advertisement

With 3 weeks left in NBA season, 8 teams are fighting over 3 playoff places

Here’s all you need to know before the real basketball happens.

Image: AP/Press Association Images

MOST TEAMS HAVE just 10-12 games left in the NBA’s regular season, but 22 teams’ playoff hopes have already been decided and all that is left is shuffling for playoff seeding.

Using a rating system that accounts for margin of victory, home-court advantage, strength of schedule, and prior performance, and then simulating the rest of the season thousands of times, Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight.com has determined the probability each team has of making the playoffs.

Of the NBA’s 30 teams, 13 teams are certainties or near-certainties (>95% chance) to make the playoffs and nine teams have either been eliminated from playoff contention or do not have a realistic chance (<5%). That leaves eight teams battling for the final three spots, with two heavy favourites.

In the Eastern Conference five teams are still alive for the final two spots. However, the real battle appears to be between the Pacers, Celtics, and Hornets for the final place as the Heat have a pretty firm grasp on one of them. The Nets are barely hanging on.

NBA playoffs chart

The playoff race in the Western Conference is almost set with seven of the eight spots locked up or nearly so. The final spot will almost certainly go to the Oklahoma City Thunder who have separated themselves from the Pelicans and Suns.

NBA playoffs chart

These 20 Irish athletes will get the highest level of Sports Council funding

‘It really feels like someone close to you has died’ – Wozniacki opens up on McIlroy split

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Published with permission from:

Business Insider
Business Insider is a business site with strong financial, media and tech focus.

Read next:

COMMENTS