Why are we asking you to sign in? Find out more here
By continuing, you are indicating that you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy .
Why are we asking you to sign in? Find out more here
By continuing, you are indicating that you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy .
US judge approves uncapped head injury deal for former NFL players
THOUSANDS OF EX-National Football League players are to be compensated for head-injury claims, after a US judge gave a green light to a revised settlement.
The revised deal means that more than 20,000 retired players can now vote on the settlement. Last month, the NFL agreed to pay an unlimited amount in damages to players with severe concussion-related claims after removing a $675 million cap (€497 million) on awards.
Lawyers for the more than 4,500 retired players who sued the league are accusing the NFL of a cover up regarding dangers of concussions and violent hits to the head.
Lawyers Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.
US District Court Judge Anita Brody wrote in her decision on Monday that her concerns over an earlier settlement were “satisfied” and that the revised deal “is a significant improvement” over the first.
In January, Brody rejected an agreement struck last August in which the NFL agreed to pay $765 million (€564 million) to provide medical benefits and injury compensation to retired players and their families.
The new “uncapped” settlement, Brody wrote, “ensures that there are sufficient funds available to pay all claims through the 65-year term of the settlement and improves the manner in which diagnoses are made to protect against fraud.”
The settlement also sets up a $10 (€7.3 million) million fund for education programs geared to concussion prevention.
NFL senior vice president Anastasia Danias called Brody’s decision comprehensive and said the league would work with the plaintiffs to implement the terms.
The court will hold a fairness hearing later this year at which plaintiffs can air objections to the settlement.
- © AFP, 2014
British official arrested over illegal ticket sales at World Cup
Ireland’s Aisling Daly to compete in American reality TV show in search of next female UFC champion
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
Concussion ex-players Head Injuries NFL Revised Settlements uncapped US judge