THE NEW YORK Giants aren’t the worst team in the NFL – hi San Francisco, hi Cleveland – but they’re pretty close.
Their nightmare season took another bleak turn on Sunday evening when they fell to 1-7 after losing 51-17 at home against the LA Rams.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, the Giants did something which should be a practical impossibility: they allowed their opponents to convert on 3rd & 29+.
At that kind of yardage, and barring a penalty, there’s no way your opponent should be picking up a new set of downs.
Worse than that, the Giants allowed Robert Woods to run the ball all the way in for a 52-yard touchdown.
The play left NFL boffins scrambling for similar examples, with only a handful of comparable efforts in the record books over the past 30 seasons.
Head coach Ben McAdoo — whose job is already hanging by a thread — might find that one tricky to explain in the office tomorrow.
NFL results – Sunday 6pm kick-offs
- Baltimore Ravens 20 @ 23 Tennessee Titans
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 @ 30 New Orleans Saints
- LA Rams 51 @ 17 New York Giants
- Denver Broncos 23 @ 51 Philadelphia Eagles
- Atlanta Falcons 17 @ 20 Carolina Panthers
- Cincinnati Bengals 7 @ 23 Jacksonville Jaguars
- Indianapolis Colts 20 @ 14 Houston Texans
Subscribe to The42 podcasts here: