Advertisement
Tuesday 31 January 2023 Dublin: 6°C
Arturo Rodriguez/AP/Press Association Images
# What's the rush?
No decision until the end of June, says United target de Gea
Atletico keeper wants to focus on his commitment to Spanish U21s before making any decisions.

ALEX FERGUSON WILL have to wait a little while longer to get his man after goalkeeping target David de Gea denied reports that a deal to take him to Manchester United was imminent.

Speaking following Gary Neville’s testimonial on Tuesday night, Ferguson told reporters that they have been working “for quite a while” on an agreement with the 20-year-old Atletico Madrid shot-stopper, leading The Guardian and other media outlets to report that the deal had been finalised.

Through his legal representative, de Gea moved quickly to quash any rumours that he was United’s first signing of the summer, reiterating a statement in which he told reporters last week that he would not be making any decision on his future until 30 June.

The youngster, who has been named in coach Luis Milla’s squad for the forthcoming European U21 Championships in Denmark, is insistent that he will have no time to consider offers from either United or Atletico until after the tournament finishes on 25 June.

De Gea’s statement, released to Spanish news agency EFE yesterday, stated that “news has appeared in various media outlets today that Atletico Madrid’s David De Gea has signed for Manchester United. I hereby notify you that it is not true a deal has been signed.”

De Gea will not consider the contract extension offer from Atletico or any other offer until June 30th when he has finished his commitments with the Under-21 national team.

Join us on Saturday evening for minute-by-minute coverage of this year’s Champions League Final >

Exclusive Six
Nations Analysis

Get Murray Kinsella’s exclusive analysis of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign this spring

Become a Member