Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 4°C Friday 26 February 2021

Clifford grabs key goal but later is sent-off as Kerry champions progress after late drama

Title holders East Kerry survived a battle with St Kieran’s while earlier there was victory for St Brendan’s over Killarney Legion.

Updated Aug 29th 2020, 9:41 PM

KERRY STAR DAVID Clifford was at the centre of the late drama tonight in Austin Stack Park as he hit a key late goal, one of the final points and was then shown a red card as defending champions East Kerry eventually reached this year’s county senior football semi-finals.

david-clifford-protests-a-decision-with-jonathan-griffin David Clifford protesting with referee Jonathan Griffin Source: Laszlo Geczo/INPHO

East Kerry survived a ferocious battle with another divisional outfit in St Kieran’s before prevailing 2-13 to 1-14.

They were trailing 1-13 to 1-10 until Clifford pounced for a crucial goal with five minutes left and even though St Kieran’s drew level soon after, it was the Kerry captain and his brother Paudie who hit the points to ensure East Kerry had two to spare at the final whistle.

But then Kerry’s brilliant attacker was shown a red card, reportedly for an off-the-ball offence, which leaves him potentially suspended for the semi-final stages.

david-clifford-celebrates-scoring-a-goal David Clifford celebrates scoring a goal against St Kieran's Source: Laszlo Geczo/INPHO

david-clifford-is-ejected-from-the-game David Clifford is shown a red card by referee Jonathan Griffin.

It all came from a game where East Kerry needed to battle against St Kieran’s. Paudie Clifford hit the opening goal of the game but the teams were tied, 1-4 to 0-7, at the interval before St Kieran’s made the running as James Walsh netted and there was impressive displays from the likes of Eddie Horan and Paul Walsh.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Earlier divisional team St Brendan’s ensured they back in the Kerry senior football semi-finals for the second successive year with county stars Jack Barry and Diarmuid O’Connor both hitting the net in their quarter-final win.

St Brendan’s ran out 2-17 to 1-9 winners over Killarney Legion in the opening quarter-final tie played at Austin Stack Park.

The opening quarter saw St Brendan’s surge ahead 0-6 to 0-2 as they built on last week’s opening round success over West Kerry. Then Kerry senior duo Barry and O’Connor both raised green flags to push them in front 2-7 to 0-6 by the interval.

Legion, who held on for a narrow triumph last Sunday over Kerins O’Rahilly’s, tried to rally in the second half with Jamie O’Sullivan grabbing a goal for them but they lost out in the end by 11 points.

Tomorrow’s quarter-final actions sees Dr Crokes take on Templenoe while Mid Kerry will meet Kenmare Shamrocks.

More to follow…

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel