This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Thursday 25 April, 2019
Advertisement

'Bored' Tomic loses racquet deal after lethargic Wimbledon exit

The manufacturer stood by Maria Sharapova during her doping ban, but moved quickly to oust Tomic after he admitted he had fallen out of love with tennis.

WIMBLEDON BAD BOY Bernard Tomic was axed by his racquet sponsor just hours after he was fined £11,600 (€13,172) for his controversial post-match admission.

Head, who stood behind Maria Sharapova during the Russian star’s doping ban, deemed the Australian’s behaviour unacceptable and have severed their ties.

Britain Wimbledon Tennis Source: Alastair Grant

“We were extremely disappointed with the statements made at Wimbledon by one of our sponsored athletes, Bernard Tomic,” read a statement on the Head website.

“His opinions in no way reflect our own attitude for tennis, our passion, professionalism and respect for the game. Therefore, we have decided to discontinue our collaboration with Bernard Tomic.”

Tomic gave a lethargic performance in his straight sets defeat against Mischa Zverev in the first round on Tuesday and then claimed he had been “bored” during the match.

In an astonishingly frank press conference, Tomic also admitted he called for the trainer even though he was not injured to try to disrupt his opponent’s momentum.

The International Tennis Federation responded by taking a significant chunk of the world number 59′s £35,000 (€39,748) earnings from the tournament.

The 24-year-old’s level of effort has frequently been called into question, and he said on Tuesday: “I couldn’t care less if I make a fourth round at the US Open or I lose first round.

“To me, everything is the same. I’m going to play another 10 years, and I know after my career I won’t have to work again.”

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Del Potro’s Wimbledon clash halted after spectator taken ill

Farah spokesperson says suggestion of misconduct ‘entirely false’ after Fancy Bears hack

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)