This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 6 °C Tuesday 20 November, 2018

Waterford SHC: Mount Sion shock Ballygunner - Tipperary SHC: Last eight line up complete

There will be new Déise senior hurling club champions this year while the quarter-final line-up in the Premier county is now known.

Waterford selector Ken McGrath was in action for Mount Sion today against Ballygunner.
Waterford selector Ken McGrath was in action for Mount Sion today against Ballygunner.
Image: INPHO/Lorraine O'Sullivan

Mount Sion caused a huge surprise as they dumped reigning champions Ballygunner out of the county SHC by securing a 0-16 to 2-8 victory in this afternoon’s quarter-final tie in Walsh Park. Mount Sion, who lost their first three games in the round-robin stages this season, were outsiders entering the match against a Ballygunner side parading a galaxy of inter-county stars.

Ballygunner got off to a strong early start when Barry Mullane found the net but by the interval Mount Sion had drawn level at 1-3 to 0-6. The game remained delicately balanced in the second-half as the teams were tied by 1-6 to 0-9 at the third-quarter mark. However then Mount Sion produced a powerful surge to move ahead by 0-14 to 1-8 approaching the finale and despite a late Ballygunner goal from David O’Sullivan, it was veteran Ken McGrath who grabbed a crucial point to help Mount Sion triumph.

Mount Sion will now be aiming to reach their first decider since 2006 at the semi-final stage where they will meet city rivals De La Salle after they were pitted together in the draw that was made after the clash in Walsh Park. De La Salle, champions in 2008 and 2010, booked their semi-final berth with a dramatic 0-24 to 4-11 success against Lismore in the Fraher Field yesterday evening.

It took a late point by Eddie Barrett to seal De La Salle’s narrow success as Lismore’s ability to plunder goals kept them in the hunt throughout the match. De La Salle lead by 0-12 to 1-7 at half-time with Dan Shanahan raising the green flag for Lismore. By the third-quarter mark the teams were tied at 0-18 to 3-9 with Ray Barry and John Prendergast finding the net for Lismore. John Heneghan struck Lismore’s fourth goal late on but Barrett split the posts for the critical score.

The curtain-raiser at the Fraher Field yesterday saw Dungarvan defeat Tallow by 1-16 to 1-10 to set up a semi-final meeting with Fourmilewater who defeated Abbeyside last week. Dungarvan lead by 0-8 to 1-4 at the interval with William Henley grabbing Tallow’s goal. However Dungarvan took control in the second-half with Gavin Crotty finding the net to help his side triumph by six points. Dungarvan will now be aiming to reach the final for the first time since 1951 while Fourmilewater are seeking a first decider appearance.

Waterford SHC semi-finals: Sat Sept 29th – Mount Sion v De La Salle, Walsh Park, 5pm; Sun Sept 30th – Fourmilewater v Dungarvan, Fraher Field, 6pm.

Reigning champions Drom-Inch, 2007 winners Loughmore-Castleiney, North Tipperary outfit Kildangan and West Tipperary club Éire Óg-Annacarty qualified for the quarter-final stages of the county SHC with victories in the fourth round over the weekend.

Loughmore-Castleiney’s David Kennedy and Drom-Inch’s James Woodlock will both be involved in next week’s quarter-finals. Pic: INPHO/Donall Farmer

Drom-Inch were convincing victors over Carrick Swans yesterday in Leahy Park in Cashel by 2-19 to 1-13 after enjoying a 0-11 to 1-6 advantage at the break. Drom-Inch will now face Clonoulty-Rossmore next weekend in a repeat of last year’s final which they won by 1-19 to 2-14. That clash will be part of a double-header next Saturday evening between Loughmore-Castleiney and Mullinahone.

Loughmore-Castleiney were triumphant this afternoon by 1-24 to 2-11 against Roscrea in McDonagh Park in Nenagh. The winners lead by 0-12 to 0-5 and despite an early second-half goal by Tommy Fitzgerald for Roscrea, Loughmore-Castleiney pulled clear with Noel McGrath excelling and a Cian Hennessy goal pushed them into a 1-20 to 1-13 lead. Jason Fitzpatrick did grab a late consolation goal for Roscrea.

The other quarter-final double-header will take place next Sunday evening with Éire Óg Annacarty, who defeated Borrisoleigh by 1-17 to 0-17 yesterday in Cashel, meeting North champions Portroe. While Kildangan were convincing winners over Toomevara, winners of eight of the last 14 titles, by 2-19 to 0-15 this afternoon in Nenagh and will now meet Thurles Sarsfields next week.

Tipperary SHC quarter-finals: Sat Sept 22nd – Mullinahone v Loughmore-Castleiney, Semple Stadium, 6pm; Clonoulty-Rossmore v Drom-Inch, Semple Stadium, 7.30pm. Sun Sept 23rd – Thurles Sarsfields v Kildangan, Semple Stadium, 6pm; Portroe v Éire Óg Annacarty, Semple Stadium, 7.30pm.

Club Call: Leinster – Dublin SFC and Wexford SFC

As it happened: Cork v Wexford, All-Ireland Senior Camogie Final

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Fintan O'Toole

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel