This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Tuesday 16 October, 2018
Advertisement

Liverpool must be patient as they work on major transfers, says Klopp

The Merseysiders still need to add a centre-half, midfielder and left-back to their squad ahead of the new season, with the manager calm over progress

Klopp: turned 50 today.
Klopp: turned 50 today.

JURGEN KLOPP HAS revealed Liverpool will take a “patient” approach to transfers this summer as the club continue to work on their priority targets.

The Reds have already signed Mohamed Salah for a club record £36.9 million fee, which could rise by another £7m, as well Under-20 World Cup winner Dominic Solanke.

The latter is expected to be unveiled soon, with a tribunal set to decide the training compensation fee Chelsea are due for the forward.

A proven centre-back, a dynamic midfielder and a solid left-back are essential personnel targets the Merseysiders still need to tick off their recruitment list.

Liverpool “ended any interest” in Virgil van Dijk, the priority target for the heart of defence, after having to apologise to Southampton for speaking to the player without their permission.

RB Leipzig have insisted Naby Keita – the Reds’ preferred option in midfield as first revealed by Goal – is not for sale, but a bid that surpasses the Bundesliga transfer record of €75m (£66m) could tempt them into altering their stance.

Andy Robertson of Hull City is under consideration to provide James Milner with competition at left-back and would be an easier deal to get over the line.

The Anfield side are also checking on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s contract stand-off with Arsenal, but the 23-year-old would be a bonus addition.

Klopp, who oversaw the start of Liverpool’s pre-season training at Melwood on Wednesday, is targeting a higher calibre of player and understands that patience is essential in getting the major business over the line.

“The transfer window will be a difficult one, like it always is,” the 50-year-old told the club’s official website.

“Maybe it’s getting more difficult, especially in England. We’ve made a lot of good things so far. Even if you cannot see it, you can imagine we’ve done a lot behind the scenes.

“Sometimes you need to be patient and that’s what we are at the moment. We have to wait for the right moment and we’ll see what happens.

“But this squad will be stronger than it was last year and I think that’s a real reason for optimism.”

Do you agree with our SSE Airtricity League team of the month?

Pepe bound for Besiktas, Harry Redknapp’s fondness for Robbie Keane and all today’s transfer gossip

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (16)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel