Why are we asking you to sign in? Find out more here
By continuing, you are indicating that you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy .
Why are we asking you to sign in? Find out more here
By continuing, you are indicating that you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy .
Leinster set to unleash Sean O'Brien this weekend but McFadden ruled out for months
LEINSTER WILL MAKE a final assessment on the fitness of Sean O’Brien in training today and tomorrow before deciding on whether to include him in the squad for their Champions Cup opener.
The flanker has been sidelined with a hamstring injury sustained during Ireland’s Six Nations defeat to France in February but is now nearing the end of his recovery process.
The province are confident O’Brien will be fit enough to feature at some stage against Castres on Saturday and if that date comes too soon, his comeback will be against Montpellier the following weekend.
Speaking at Leinster HQ this afternoon, backs coach Girvan Dempsey said there was a good chance O’Brien would be available for selection.
“He got through a lot of work last week and he’s got a couple of more markers to hit,” Dempsey said.
“It will really just depend on how he is, but we would be confident we will see him on the field if not this weekend, definitely next weekend but hopefully this one.
“We’re fortunate he’s coming back with a strong back-row so he’ll have to fight for his place but it’s a great place to be. He’s chomping at the bit and has been very influential whilst he’s been off the field.”
While it’s good news for O’Brien, Fergus McFadden is facing an extended period on the sidelines after the quad injury he suffered against Cardiff Blues turned out to be worse than first feared.
The back is now likely to be out for two months and will be out of the running for Ireland’s November internationals.
Dempsey delivered an otherwise clean bill of health following Saturday’s win over Munster with Robbie Henshaw and Rob Kearney both coming through unscathed.
Dave Kearney’s left ankle will be assessed later this week while Mike McCarthy’s fitness will also be monitored ahead of the Pool 4 opener.
Ed Byrne, Jack Conan and Richardt Strauss all remain unavailable.
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!
Full house! IRFU confirm Ireland’s clashes with New Zealand and Australia at the Aviva are sold out
Buckley, McCartney and Healy to miss two months for Lam’s Connacht
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
Fergus McFadden Injury Update Leinster Sean O'Brien