- Connacht centre Dave McSharry has been advised to sit out the rest of the season after suffering a number of concussions.
- The League of Ireland’s prize money has increased by 50% for this season with a total of €475,500 now up for grabs.
- Ireland U20 rugby coach Nigel Carolan has made five changes to his side ahead of their clash against England on Friday.
- Collingwood Cup holders UCC were beaten by Maynooth in a penalty shootout in their quarter-final clash at The Mardyke this afternoon. Trinity College, UL and UCD also advanced to the semi-finals.
- Christian Brothers College edged a thrilling Cork derby against Presentation Brothers College to book their spot in the Munster Senior Cup final.
- England lock Joe Launchbury has been ruled out of Saturday’s Six Nations clash against Ireland with a hamstring injury.
- Gerard Pique will not face disciplinary action after his controversial booking late in Barcelona’s 2-0 Champions League win over Arsenal.
- A press conference with Louis van Gaal took on a rather raunchy tone earlier today ahead of Manchester United’s Europa League fixture against Midtjylland.
- UFC boss Dana White revealed that there were plenty of options when it came to finding a replacement fighter for Conor McGregor at UFC 196.
The Best Thing We Shared
Vanderbilt centre Josh Henderson made this stunning 80-foot buzzer-beater to send his team in five points up at the half against Florida.
On The Record
I did find it somewhat interesting, however, that Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar both turned it down. I seem to recall them insisting quite recently that they were willing to fight Conor ‘any time and any place’. Obviously they forgot to mention that 5 March in Las Vegas was an exception. — John Kavanagh on Conor McGregor’s search for a replacement opponent at UFC 196.
Where we were today
Ryan Bailey caught up with Olympic champion Katie Taylor at the announcement of the new Sky Sports Living for Sport Athlete Mentors in Dublin.
Ben Blake was at the launch of the 2016 SSE Airtricity League at Aviva Stadium.
Steve O’Rourke sat down with Irish Olympic race-walker Rob Heffernan at the release of the Road to Rio video series from sponsors Nissan.
- Tonight: There are two last-16, first-leg ties in the Champions League; Manchester City travel to Dynamo Kyiv and PSV Eindhoven host Atletico Madrid. Both games kick off at 7.45pm.
- There are also three fixtures in the Leinster U21 football championship this evening; Wicklow v Carlow in IT Carlow, Wexford v Longford in Enniscorthy and Louth v Laois in Haggardstown. All matches throw in at 7.30pm.
- Tomorrow: Castletroy College and Crescent College go toe to toe in a Munster Senior Cup semi-final for the right to face CBC in the decider.
- Ireland’s third-level football sides are in action again as the Collingwood Cup moves on to its semi-final stage tomorrow afternoon in Cork.
- The Europa League is back tomorrow night; Liverpool host German side Augsburg at 6pm with the tie in the balance following a 0-0 result last week. Manchester United have all the work to do as they trail Denmark’s FC Midtjylland 2-1 after the first leg. Action gets under way at Old Trafford at 8.05pm. Spurs are also at home; they welcome Fiorentina to White Hart Line with the score standing at 1-1.
Conor McGregor said he was delighted to be the first Irishman on the cover of American mag Sports Illustrated. The error of his ways were soon pointed out, however. Rory McIlroy and Eamonn Coghlan had already made the front page but it was Ronnie Delany, Ireland’s marathon gold medallist in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, who was the first to accomplish the feat.